Workers Evacuating Rig in Norwegian Sea
Workers are being evacuated from the Floatel Superior rig in the southern Norwegian Sea following a serious stability incident amid bad weather, Norway's Petroleum Safety Authority reported Wednesday.
The PSA was notified about the incident at 4:15 a.m. Norwegian time with a report that an anchor had punctured one of the rig's ballast tanks. This led to the rig developing a list of three-to-four degrees.
Speaking to Rigzone Wednesday morning, a spokesperson for the PSA said: "The rig itself is stable but the situation is not… They are evacuating as we speak."
The PSA has established an emergency response center to help tackle the incident, and it said it is taking a very serious view of the incident. The center will supervise the operator's management of the situation.
"We are thinking about the acute situation," added the PSA spokesperson. "The weather conditions are bad, they need to evacuate over 300 people and they have lost their barrier, meaning that they are taking in water. But the rig itself is stable."
The Floatel Superior rig is a dynamically positioned semisubmersible unit that can accommodate up to 440 people when operating on the Norwegian Continental Shelf. The vessel is currently located alongside the Njord A installation that is operated by Statoil on the Halten Bank in the southern Norwegian Sea.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Big Oil CEOs Appeal to Norway to Back Carbon Capture and Storage (Feb 15)
- Norwegian Police Investigate 2016 Hydrogen Leak At Statoil Refinery (Feb 09)
- Statoil Quits Talks Over Stake In Mozambique Offshore Gas Block (Jan 29)
Company: Petroleum Safety Authority Norway more info
- Watchdog: Cost Cuts Appear To Harm Norway Oil Industry Safety (Feb 20)
- Norway To Investigate Oil Industry Safety After Accidents Rise (Nov 29)
- PSA Asks Statoil Whether Recent Incidents Related To Cost Cutting (Oct 26)