Two North Sea Well Disappointments for Cairn
Independent oil and gas company Cairn Energy announced Tuesday that two North Sea wells it has interests in are being plugged and abandoned after failing to find hydrocarbons in commercial quantities.
Cairn reported that its partner Nexen is about to complete drilling operations on the wildcat exploration well 20/7-7 that was targeting the Bardolph prospect in the UK North Sea. After reaching a total depth of 10,504 feet the well, which was being drilled by the Transocean Prospect (mid-water semisub) rig, did not encounter commercial hydrocarbons.
As well as operator Nexen, which had a 51-percent interest, and Cairn (19%), other partners in the 20/7-7 well included Carrizo Oil & Gas (15%) and MPX North Sea (15%).
At Spaniards East, Premier Oil is about to complete drilling operations on well 15/21a-60 after it reached 10,694 feet without finding hydrocarbons. Premier, the operator, had a 28-percent while Cairn had a 21-percent stake. Other partners included Serica Energy (21%), Parkmead (12.6%), Faroe Petroleum (8.4%), Maersk Petroleum (5.7%) and Atlantic Petroleum (3.2%).
In a separate statement, Faroe Chief Executive Graham Stewart commented:
"Although the well was unsuccessful, the partnership has gained useful data from the well, which will further our regional knowledge. In the meantime, Faroe will be participating in a very active ongoing drilling program in 2013 and we also await the results from the BP operated North Uist exploration well, west of Shetland."
Premier Oil reported that the WilPhoenix (mid-water semisub) rig used on Spaniards East will now move to the Cyclone prospect in UK block 28/7.
Cairn pointed out that it has participated in nine wells in the UK and Norwegian North Sea, so far, during 2012. Out of these it has made two discoveries, while five wells have been plugged and abandoned and the remaining two suspended.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- India Plans Larger Oil Auctions as Modi Pursues Import Cuts (Sep 14)
- Cairn Energy: SNE-5 Appraisal Well Hits Oil, Gas (Mar 07)
- AkerBP, Cairn Energy Make Jefferies Top Pick List (Jan 09)
Company: Nexen, Inc. more info
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: Premier Oil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- European Oil Producers' Weak Hedging Shows Bet on Price Rebound (Jul 31)
- Mexico Oil Privatization Pays Off With Billion-Barrel Find (Jul 12)
- Premier Oil Expects Weak Pound To Help Bottom Line (Jan 12)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)