Oil Firms Support Norwegian Robot Rig Technology
Statoil, ConocoPhilips and Norske Shell are teaming up with WeST Drilling Products to help develop a new fully-robotized drilling technology.
The ‘Continuous Motion Rig’ technology enables continuous drilling and, promises WDP, “substantial efficiency improvements” that will result in cost reductions. Additionally, the CMR technology can help achieve several well-related improvements, including better pressure control and reduced differential sticking.
The pilot project will see WDP build a drilling rig that will not only demonstrate CMR but also enable technology from other companies to be tested. The research rig is also expected to strengthen the drilling technology cluster in the Stavanger region.
With a development budget of $33 million (NOK 190 million), including a grant from the Norwegian Research Council of NOK 40 million, the project will have three chief goals: new field development on the Norwegian Continental Shelf through new and cost efficient technology and implementation models; increased safety for implementation within budget and plan; and new Norwegian industrial products for sale around the world.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 30 Offshore Rigs
- UK Firm Intertek Says Employee Involved in Shell Oil Theft Case (Jan 17)
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil May Build Onshore Terminal for Castberg Oil -Minister (Jan 16)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)