TAQA Bratani's North Sea Contender Well Hits Oil
TAQA Bratani has made an oil discovery at the Contender exploration well in the North Sea, its partners in the well announced Monday.
Calgary-headquartered Antrim Energy (which has an 8.4-percent interest in Contender) reported in a statement that the well, located in UK Northern North Sea Block 211/22a, had found net oil pay in excess of 60 feet after the well had been drilled to a total depth of 16,903 feet. The well was encountered in Jurassic Brent sandstones where the total Brent oil column exceeded 112 feet, with no water-bearing sands identified.
Further reservoir evaluation is being undertaken, said Antrim. Should the discovery be commercial, the field will be developed under the name 'Cormorant East' and production will be processed through the North Cormorant platform.
In a separate statement, Anglo-Norwegian oil junior Bridge Energy (which holds a 4-percent interest in Contender) confirmed that it was working with its partners to further define the size of the reservoir.
"This news comes during an exciting period for Bridge where, in addition to the Contender well, in Norway we also have operations ongoing in the PL554 Garantiana well, along with the commencement of drilling operations on the PL457 Asha/Noor prospect later this month," commented Bridge CEO Tom Reynolds in a statement.
TAQA is the operator of the Contender well with a 60-percent interest, while Dana Petroleum and First Oil Expro also have holdings.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Independents Go Big in North Sea (Jan 03)
- Dana Petroleum Raises Concerns Over EnQuest North Sea Discovery (Jul 05)
- SDX Energy Quits Cameroon Concession In 'Sensible' Move (Jun 16)
Company: Antrim Energy more info
- Enegi Mulls Newfoundland Divestment, Increased Stake in ABT (Aug 29)
- Antrim Energy Considering Selling Stake in Causeway Field (Nov 15)
- Production Resumes at Causeway, Cormorant East Fields (Oct 25)
Company: Bridge North Sea more info
- Asha East Well Comes up Dry (Oct 17)
- Wintershall's Amol Well Comes up Dry (Sep 25)
- Spike Targets Bridge Energy (Sep 16)
Company: Abu Dhabi National Energy Co.(TAQA) more info
- UAE Energy Firm TAQA Posts Wider Q3 Loss On Oil Price Slump (Nov 09)
- Abu Dhabi's TAQA To Price Weds Tap Of Existing 2021, 2026 Bonds (Oct 12)
- Abu Dhabi's TAQA Q2 Net Loss Widens To $160M (Aug 10)