FT: Rosneft CEO Says Putin Backs BP, Rosneft Plan for TNK-BP
LONDON - Russian President Vladimir Putin backs BP PLC's plan to sell its 50% stake in TNK-BP to state-controlled OAO Rosneft and use some of the proceeds to buy Rosneft shares, the head of the Russian company told the Financial Times in a story published Wednesday.
"[Rosneft] will have the opportunity to acquire a strategic investor," the paper quoted Rosneft Chief Executive Igor Sechin as saying, "so we do support this, and the president also spoke in support of this."
Mr. Sechin said Mr. Putin had the last word. "Considering the fact that Rosneft is a strategic company ... the main parameters of the deal have to be agreed with the presidential administration," he said, the FT reported.
Mr. Sechin said acquiring half of TNK-BP would be a good strategic fit for Rosneft, with the company's crude feeding into its many refineries both in Russia and continental Europe.
He said he was already in "daily contact" with German Khan, TNK-BP's executive director, "on the joint use of oil infrastructure so as to lower transport costs and achieve synergies," the paper said.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP: 2017 'Massive' Year for Global Upstream Projects (Dec 07)
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
Company: Rosneft more info
- Russia's Rosneft Signs Oil Supply Deal With Greece's Motor Oil (Nov 20)
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
- Kremlin Oil Major Piles Up Investments In Iraq's Kurdistan Amid Crisis (Oct 18)
Company: TNK-BP more info
- Rosneft Board Member Rejects Criticism of TNK-BP Buyout (Oct 04)
- Rosneft: TNK-BP Integration 'Mostly Complete' (Jun 20)
- TNK-BP Acquisition Boosts Rosneft's 1Q Production (Apr 30)