Uruguay Signs $1.65B in Offshore Oil-Exploration Deals
BUENOS AIRES - Uruguay's government on Friday signed offshore exploration deals with four oil and gas companies that have committed to invest $1.65 billion over the next three years.
The companies include the U.K.'s BP PLC and BG Group PLC, France's Total SA, and Ireland's Tullow Oil PLC. They will join Uruguay's state-owned energy company, Ancap, to explore in eight offshore blocks, according to a statement on the Uruguay president's website.
The blocks are located in waters that range from 500 meters to 2,500 meters deep. BP and BG will each explore three blocks, while Total will explore one and Tullow another.
"This is the most significant event in the search for energy resources in recent years," Industry, Energy and Mining Minister Roberto Kreimerman said in the statement.
Mr. Kreimerman said the projects aim to diversify Uruguay's energy matrix. "We have the chance for a country that is not an oil producer to have new wealth through this exploratory work, which will be done over the next three years, as well as the exploitation that follows," he said.
Mr. Kreimerman expects the drilling work to begin in mid-2013. He also said that by 2015 half of Uruguay's energy matrix will come from renewable energy.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
- Ivory Coast Awards Tullow Two New Oil and Gas Blocks (Jan 17)
- UK's Tullow Oil Lifts Outlook On Higher Crude Prices, Output (Nov 08)
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)