Marathon Enters Ethiopia with Acquisition
Marathon Oil Corporation reported Wednesday that it has entered into a sale and purchase agreement with Agriterra to acquire its 20-percent working interest in the South Omo concession in Ethiopia. The deal further serves to highlight the increasing importance of the East African region to international oil businesses.
Marathon and Agriterra expect to close the transaction, subject to completion of the necessary Ethiopian government approvals, before the end of the year.
Tullow Oil is the operator of the South Omo concession with a 50-percent working interest, and Africa Oil holds the remaining 30-percent working interest. The concession has an area of approximately 11,326 square miles. Marathon expects an exploration well to spud at South Omo in the fourth quarter of 2012.
In consideration for the assignment of these interests, Marathon Oil will pay Agriterra $40 million, before closing adjustments, with an additional payment of $10 million due upon Marathon Oil's participation in a declaration of a commercial discovery.
"This acquisition is a strong addition to Marathon Oil's position in the Tertiary rift trend onshore East Africa and is on trend with the recent Ngamia-1 discovery in Kenya," said Annell Bay, Marathon Oil head of global exploration, in a statement. "We are excited to build on our partnership with Tullow and Africa Oil."
The deal comes on the back of a number of deals by international energy companies to gain a foothold in the burgeoning East Africa region in recent years. The most high profile of these was PTTEP's takeover battle with Shell this spring to gain control of Cove Energy – which holds an 8.5-percent interest in Mozambique's gas-rich Rovuma Basin.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: PTTEP more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Ecuador to Offer Oil Blocks Under New Bidding Terms in Jan (Oct 06)
- ExxonMobil Says Will Drop Discussions Over Indonesia's East Natuna (Jul 18)
- Hydrocarbons Encountered at Te Giac Trang Field Offshore Vietnam (Dec 20)
Company: Cove Energy plc more info
- Aminex Appoints New Exploration Advisor (Apr 07)
- Ex-Cove Energy Team Launches Africa-focused Explorer (Mar 11)
- PTTEP Set to Raise $3B in Rights Offering; To Fund Cove Acquisition (Nov 30)