Apache's Mbawa Find Not Viable
Tullow Oil plc (Tullow) announced that the Mbawa-1 exploration well in the L8 license area, offshore Kenya, has now been deepened and reached a total depth of 10,338 feet (3,151 meters).
As previously announced, the Mbawa-1 exploration well encountered approximately 171 feet (52 meters) of net gas pay in the primary target. However, the deeper, secondary target did not contain hydrocarbons. The operator is currently running wireline logs. On conclusion of this work, the well will be plugged and abandoned.
Apache (50%) is Operator of the offshore Block L8 Licence along with partners Origin Energy (20%), Pancontinental (15%) and Tullow (15%).
Commenting today, Angus McCoss, Exploration Director, said:
"A gas discovery on prognosis in the shallowest objective at Mbawa-1 is an encouraging start to our East African Transform Margin exploration campaign. This is the first hydrocarbon discovery offshore Kenya and gives a clear demonstration of a working petroleum system. Although the deeper targets at this location were unsuccessful these results will be vital in evaluating the still significant prospectivity of this block."
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Ancala Acquires Apache's Two North Sea Gas Pipeline Assets (Nov 20)
- Apache Raises North America Output Forecast, Swings To Profit (May 04)
- Oil Producer Apache Posts Smaller-Than-Expected Loss (Nov 03)
Company: Origin Energy more info
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- UK's Tullow Oil Lifts Outlook On Higher Crude Prices, Output (Nov 08)
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)