India Holds Back Clearances for 52 O&G Blocks
NEW DELHI - India is holding back clearances for more than a fifth of the exploratory blocks it has auctioned in various rounds since 1999 to domestic and overseas energy explorers due to defense, environmental and maritime boundary issues.
The delay is hurting the nation's plans to expedite exploration of its oil and gas assets and ramp up local output to cut its import bill and may threaten investments by overseas explorers in the country's energy sector.
"Presently, 52 blocks awarded under various rounds of New Exploration Licensing Policy bidding are pending clearance by different organizations such as the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Ministry of External Affairs and state governments," Oil Minister Jaipal Reddy told lawmakers in a written reply in the lower house of Parliament.
Of the 52 blocks awaiting clearances, 22 are operated by Oil & Natural Gas Corp., 15 by Reliance Industries Ltd., five by BHP Billiton Ltd., three by Cairn Energy PLC, two by Santos Ltd. and one each by BG Group PLC, BP PLC and ENI S.p.A.
Under nine auction rounds, India has awarded 249 blocks. But so far, discoveries have been made in only 36 blocks.
Mr. Reddy said clearances for larger areas from which these blocks are carved out are always obtained from other ministries before offering them for bidding. But for the 52 blocks, the companies will have to seek additional approvals from the related ministries of defence, environment and foreign affairs to start or resume exploratory work.
The Indian and foreign companies have already invested $12.4 billion for exploration and development activities in these blocks, he said.
India, which saw its crude-oil import bill jump 48% on year to 6.72 trillion rupees ($121.76 billion) in the fiscal year ended March 31, is seeking to trim it by ramping up local output with the help of global oil and gas exploration companies and by acquiring assets overseas.
However, the government's control over pricing and marketing of its natural resources and lengthy approval processes for exploration blocks have made overseas investors jittery and lose interest in the country's energy sector.
India's Mint newspaper last month reported that the oil ministry had warned the prime minister's office that non-clearance of blocks could lead to an exodus of foreign companies that were brought in with assurances of a conducive investment environment as well as litigation and claims of damages.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: BP plc more info
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: Cairn Energy more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- India Plans Larger Oil Auctions as Modi Pursues Import Cuts (Sep 14)
- Cairn Energy: SNE-5 Appraisal Well Hits Oil, Gas (Mar 07)
- AkerBP, Cairn Energy Make Jefferies Top Pick List (Jan 09)
Company: Santos Ltd. more info
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: ONGC more info
Operates 42 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Sources: India ONGC Strikes 'Good' Offshore Oil, Gas Find (Sep 20)
- India To Acquire Seismic Data Of 48,000 Line kms To Boost Oil, Gas Output (Sep 12)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Reliance Industries more info
- OPEC's Output Curbs Squeeze World's Biggest Oil Refining Complex (Oct 16)
- India's Reliance Industries 2Q Profit Up 7%, Lags Estimates (Oct 13)
- India's Reliance Sells US Shale Asset for $126 Mln (Oct 06)