PdVSA to Take Over Rig for Drilling Off Cuban Coast
CARACAS - Venezuela's state oil company Petroleos de Venezuela SA, or PdVSA, will take over a rig for an exploration project off Cuba's west coast "in the upcoming days" after a Malaysian-Russian consortium was unable to make a commercial discovery using the rig at a separate site, a statement in Cuban state newspaper Granma said Monday.
The Venezuelan company will receive control of the Scarabeo 9 platform to begin exploration drilling in deep waters off Cuba's coast with the Gulf of Mexico, the state publication said.
A joint venture between a subsidiary of Malaysia's Petronas and Russia's Gazprom Neft, which was using the rig, said a geological survey found unearthed rocks "very compact and unable to deliver significant quantities of oil and gas," according to the same statement in Granma. That project concluded July 31.
Scarabeo 9 was the advanced oil platform vacated by Spain's Repsol SA in May after it too was unable to find oil in a separate drilling project.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has maintained close ties with Cuba and often calls former Cuban leader Fidel Castro his personal mentor. Venezuela sends Cuba around 100,000 barrels of oil a day in exchange for around 30,000 Cuban doctors who service Venezuelan slums.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Ukraine And Russia Both Claim Victory In Gas Dispute (Dec 22)
- Gazprom to Splurge on EU Gas Pipe as US Weighs Penalties (Dec 19)
- Court Rejects PGniG's Attempt To Limit Gazprom's Use Of Opal Pipeline (Oct 13)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Algeria Sends More Oil To Cuba As Venezuelan Supplies Fall (Jan 10)
- Venezuela's PDVSA At Risk Of Losing Bonaire Terminal Over Maintenance Delay (Dec 19)
- Paralysis At PDVSA: Venezuela's Oil Purge Cripples Company (Dec 15)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)