Argentina Ups Oil Sector Control, Mandates Annual Investment Plans
BUENOS AIRES - Argentina will require all oil companies operating in the country to submit an annual investment plan for official approval as the government strives to boost production after years of declining output and investment.
Companies operating in Argentina will have to submit a plan to President Cristina Kirchner's top economic adviser, Deputy Economy Minister Axel Kicillof, by Sept. 30 of each year. If the government isn't satisfied, it will send the plan back to the company for revision, according to a resolution in the government's official bulletin Friday. Failure to have the plan approved will result in expulsion from a registry required to operate in the company's oil and gas sector.
The move will affect company's such as Pan American Energy LLC and Petrobras Argentina, the local unit of Brazil's Petroleo Brasileiro.
In addition, Mr. Kicillof's office will set reference prices for each and every cost and sales price for oil and gas sales "which will allow [companies] to cover production costs and obtain a reasonable margin," according to the resolution.
The move is the latest step by the government to take control of the country's power sector.
In May, the government nationalized a 51% stake in the country's top oil producer, YPF SA, taking over the stake from majority shareholder Repsol YPF SA of Spain in a dispute over investment and dwindling production.
Ms. Kirchner accused Repsol of under-investing in exploration and production, which she said has forced the government to import billions of dollars of fuel every year. That saw Argentina turn into a net energy importer for the first time in 17 years.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Pan American Energy more info
- Pan American Energy to Invest $1.4B in Argentina this Year (Jul 14)
- Official: Argentina To Boost Crude Oil Output To 653,000 Bpd By 2025 (May 27)
- Pan American Energy to Invest $3.4B in Argentina from 2013-2017 (Dec 28)
Company: YPF SA more info
- Argentina's YPF To Invest $21.5B From 2018 To 2022 (Oct 25)
- Indigenous Mapuche Thwart Argentina Shale Development (Sep 08)
- Argentina's YPF CEO Resigns, 6-Member Exec Committee To Run Firm (Aug 28)