UK Takeover Panel Gives Shell, PTT Deadline for Cove Offers
LONDON - U.K. regulator, the Takeover Panel, Friday waded into the takeover battle between Royal Dutch Shell PLC and Thailand's PTT Exploration & Production PCL over Africa-focused Cove Energy PLC, giving the companies a deadline of July 16 to make their final offers.
If no offer is accepted by this date, the sale of Cove will be decided by an auction on July 17, the Takeover Panel said in a statement. The regulator's intervention will draw to a close a months-long contest between the two companies for the prize of potentially-lucrative natural gas discoveries in Africa.
Cove's main asset is an 8.5% stake in a gas discovery off Mozambique's coast. It also has interests in Kenya and Tanzania. An acquisition of Cove, a modestly-sized exploration company listed on London's junior exchange, is seen as particularly desirable as it would offer energy companies a speedy way to gain a foothold in the region.
However, to date, neither Shell nor PTT has managed to gain a substantial proportion of acceptances from shareholders, despite both contenders repeatedly extending the deadline on their offers.
On Monday, PTT said it had received acceptances from just 0.25% of Cove's investors for its offer of 240 pence a share, while Shell has said its 220 pence-a-share offer has been accepted by 3.27% of shareholders. Cove's board has recommended the PTT offer.
Under an auction process, Shell and PTT would be permitted to submit revised offers on a daily basis, provided both companies change their terms. If neither party revises its offer on July 17, the auction would end that day.
Shell, PTT and Cove have all agreed to these terms, the Takeover Panel said.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: PTT Exploration & Production Company Plc (PTTEP) more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Thailand's PTTEP Delays Canadian Oil Sands Project At Cost Of $550MM (Oct 19)
- Thai PTTEP to Invest At Least $1.7B in 2017 to Maintain Output (Oct 03)
- PTTEPI, PC JDA Sign Add-on Deal to PSC for Block 17-01 in Gulf of Thailand (Sep 01)
Company: Cove Energy plc more info
- Aminex Appoints New Exploration Advisor (Apr 07)
- Ex-Cove Energy Team Launches Africa-focused Explorer (Mar 11)
- PTTEP Set to Raise $3B in Rights Offering; To Fund Cove Acquisition (Nov 30)