Eight Energy Companies Showing Interest in Afghan O&G
HOUSTON - Seven energy companies have joined Exxon Mobil Corp. in expressing interest to bid for the right to explore for oil and gas in Afghanistan, according to that country's Ministry of Mines.
Dubai-based Dragon Oil PLC, Kuwait Energy Co., India's ONGC Videsh Ltd., Petra Energia SA of Brazil, Pakistan Petroleum Ltd., Thailand's PTT Exploration & Production and Turkey's TPAO submitted "expressions of interest" in the Afghan-Tajik Basin in northern Afghanistan, the ministry said in a release issued Wednesday.
Earlier this week Exxon Mobil confirmed that its Esso Exploration International Ltd. unit had filed its notice of interest.
A formal expression of interest gives the companies access to seismic and well log data in and around the area that is being offered for bid in northern Afghanistan, near the city of Mazari-Sharif. The Afghan-Tajik Basin blocks may contain up to 1 billion barrels of oil, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Bids will be accepted in the fall.
Minister of Mines Wahidullah Shahrani said the roster of interested bidders demonstrated "the robust growth and rapid development of Afghanistan's oil and gas sector."
"Building on the success of last year's tender in the Amu Darya Basin, we believe this tender magnifies the progress we are making," Mr. Shahrani said in a statement, referring to a bid offering made last year. That bid was won by a joint venture between China National Petroleum Corp. and a local Afghan partner.
That company began production in Amu Darya on June 24 and is expected to produce at least 150,000 barrels of oil in 2012, according to the Ministry of Mines.
Of 20 companies that indicated interest in the latest round, 12 were disqualified because they lacked the required financial resources or technical expertise, did not submit their information by the June 30 deadline or did not submit complete information, the Ministry of Mines said.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- ExxonMobil to Lead Construction, Ops of Mozambique LNG Facilities (Dec 13)
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
Company: TPAO more info
- KOGAS Says Starts Commercial Crude Oil Production in Iraq's Badra (Sep 01)
- Turkey's TPAO Signs $1.5B Deal To Buy Total's Stake In Azeri Gas Project (May 30)
- Turkey's TPAO Says In Talks With Exxon, OMV, MOL For Joint Oil Exploration (Feb 19)
Company: Pakistan Petroleum Ltd. more info
- OGDCL Successfully Completed Testing of 2 Wells in Pakistan's Nashpa Field (Aug 25)
- PPL Begins Gas Plant Ops at Gambat South's Shahdadpur Field in Sindh (Aug 15)
- PPL Finds Hydrocarbons at Hadi X-1A Well in Pakistan's Gambat South Block (Jul 18)
Company: ONGC Videsh more info
- India's ONGC Videsh to Spend Over $3 Billion on Iran Gas Block (Apr 04)
- India Clears ONGC's Extra 11% Stake Buy in Russia's Vankor Fields (Oct 05)
- ONGC Videsh Inks Deal with Rosneft to Up Stake in Russia's Vankorneft (Sep 15)
Company: Dragon Oil more info
- UAE's Dragon Oil in Talks with Turkmenistan on $10B TAPI Pipeline (Nov 27)
- Dragon Oil to Maintain Production Rate of 100,000 Bopd for 5 Years (Aug 07)
- Elliott Advisors Says ENOC's Offer Undervalues Dragon Oil (Jul 17)
Company: Kuwait Energy Company more info
- Kuwait Energy to Be OPEC State's First London-Traded Company (May 03)
- Egypt to Search for Oil in Iraq in First Foreign Venture (Sep 30)
- Indonesia's Medco Gets Additional 25 Years to Operate Oman Oil Fields (Apr 29)
Company: PTT Exploration & Production Company Plc (PTTEP) more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Thailand's PTTEP Delays Canadian Oil Sands Project At Cost Of $550MM (Oct 19)
- Thai PTTEP to Invest At Least $1.7B in 2017 to Maintain Output (Oct 03)
- PTTEPI, PC JDA Sign Add-on Deal to PSC for Block 17-01 in Gulf of Thailand (Sep 01)
Company: petra energia more info
- Eight Energy Companies Showing Interest in Afghan O&G (Jul 05)