Tullow Hits Oil Pay Offshore Cote d'Ivoire
Tullow Oil plc (Tullow) announced that the Paon-1X exploration well in the CI-103 license offshore Côte d'Ivoire has intersected good quality light oil in a Turonian fan system.
Paon-1X is the first deepwater exploration well drilled in the CI-103 license and has encountered 102 feet (31 meters) of net oil pay in a gross interval of 243 feet (74 meters) of turbidite sands. Pressure data indicates that this interval contains a continuous hydrocarbon column and samples show that it is a light oil of 41 degrees API. Further analysis is required to determine reservoir quality and the extent of the fan system.
Following completion of logging operations, the well will be suspended for possible future use in appraisal and development operations.
The Eirik Raude dynamically positioned semi-submersible rig drilled the Paon-1X well to a final depth of 16,699 feet (5,090 meters) in water depths of 7,195 feet (2,193 meters).
Tullow (45%) operates the CI-103 license and is partnered by Anadarko Petroleum (40%) and the Societé Nationale d'Opérations Pétrolières de Côte D'Ivoire (Petroci) (15%).
"The discovery of light oil in our first well in CI-103 extends the proven play for oil westwards from our successes in Ghana and is encouraging for our future exploration efforts elsewhere in this license. We look forward to further drilling in CI-103 during 2013," Exploration Director Angus McCoss said.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- 4 Ways Agile Sourcing Can Lead Enterprises to Success (Nov 10)
- Gadfly: Anadarko Woke Up, and It Really Smells the Coffee (Nov 01)
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- UK's Tullow Oil Lifts Outlook On Higher Crude Prices, Output (Nov 08)
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)
Company: Societe Nationale d’Operations Petrolieres de la Cote d’Ivoire (PETROCI) more info
- Statement: Workers at Ivory Coast's Petroci Go On Strike (Jun 29)
- Singapore-listed Rex International Holding Ups Stake in Oman's Masirah Oil (Mar 17)
- Cote d'Ivoire Approves Ophir's Acquisition of 45% Stake in Block CI-513 (Mar 11)