Cyprus Secures 15 Bids for Gas Exploration
NICOSIA - Cyprus said Friday that 29 companies had made 15 bids for exploratory drilling in a second round of licensing to exploit offshore oil and gas deposits despite strong objections from Turkey.
Commerce Minister Neoclis Sylikiotis said the results in the bidding, which closed on Friday, were "beyond expectations."
Bids were submitted from 10 consortia and five companies from 15 countries. Among the companies were Total S.A., Petronas Gas Bhd, KOGAS, Delek Group Ltd., ATP Oil & Gas Corp., Novatek, Petra Petroleum Inc. and Vitol.
A final decision on the contracts is expected to be taken by the cabinet within the next six months on the tenders, which covered 12 of 13 total blocks.
U.S. firm Noble Energy had already been awarded Block 12 and announced last year that it discovered gas reserves of up to 226.5 billion cubic meters, which has an estimated value of $129 billion.
This would satisfy the island's domestic gas needs for decades.
Media reports predict there could be greater riches, not only of gas but also of oil, in the blocks adjacent to Block 12.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Lessons from ATP Bankruptcy There for Those Who Listen (Jun 30)
- Cosco Discontinues Octabuoy Hull and Topside Module Project (Jan 12)
- Cosco Reveals Buying Interest for Octabuoy Hull and Topside Module (Jul 23)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total May Source LNG from Louisiana and Baja Projects (Nov 05)
- Gasoline Retailers Face Supply Shortage Due to Mexico Fuel Theft (Nov 01)
- Why Majors Will Take a Bigger Role in US Shale (Oct 29)
Company: PETRONAS more info
- Petronas-Saudi RAPID Refinery To Receive First Oil Cargo By End-Sept (Sep 13)
- Petronas Eyes South Sudan Oil Blocks (Sep 11)
- Sources: Aramco Plans To Ship First Crude Oil To Malaysia JV Refinery (Sep 04)
Company: Kogas more info
- As KOGAS Goes Into LNG Arbitration, Others May Follow (Feb 13)
- KOGAS Says In LNG Arbitration With Australia's North West Shelf Gas (Feb 12)
- S. Korea's KOGAS Says Interested In US Shale Gas Projects (Feb 10)
Company: Novatek more info
- Thick Sea Ice Blocks LNG Exports From Russia's Arctic Plant (Jun 21)
- Les Echos: Novatek CEO Says He Believes Total Will Join Arctic LNG 2 (Apr 25)
- Russian LNG Exporter Warns Against 'Vilifying' Country's Gas (Mar 16)
Company: Vitol GPC Investments more info
- Vitol Boosts Cheniere's Growth Plans with 15-year Deal (Sep 17)
- Vitol Launches Viva Energy Float, Australia's Biggest In 4 Years (Jun 20)
- Noble Americas to Cut 150 Employees Ahead of Vitol Sale (Dec 22)