Modec, Mitsui, Marubeni Charter FPSO for Cernambi Sul
MODEC, Inc., Mitsui & Co., Ltd. and Marubeni Corporation have agreed that the companies will invest in a long-term charter business operated by MODEC for the purpose of providing a floating production, storage, and offloading system (FPSO) for use in the Cernambi Sul area of a pre-salt oil field off the coast of Brazil. Documents to this effect were signed Thursday.
Under this agreement, Mitsui, MOL and Marubeni will invest in Cernambi Sul MV24 B.V. (MV24), a Dutch company established by MODEC. MV24 has signed a long-term chartering agreement with Tupi B.V., a Dutch company owned by PETROBRAS NETHERLANDS B.V. (65%), BG OVERSEAS HOLDING LTD. (25%), and GALP ENERGIA E&P BRASIL B.V.(10%). The FPSO will be chartered to Tupi B.V. for 20 years.
Construction of the FPSO will involve the conversion of a VLCC (very large crude oil carrier), which will be renamed "FPSO Cidade de Mangaratiba MV24." It will be deployed to the Cernambi Sul area of the BM-S-11 block off the coast of Brazil in the third quarter of 2014. The area is part of a deepwater oil field located about 186 miles (300 kilometers) south of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The oil is contained in the pre-salt layer about 16,404 feet (5,000 meters) beneath the seabed.
MODEC and Mitsui have already provided two FPSOs for the pre-salt oil field, and this will be their third pre-salt related FPSO chartering project. It is the second project of its type for MOL and the first for Marubeni. The Schahin Group, which was the joint bidder for the projects as the local partner in Brazil, will have a 15% stake in MV24 after the commencement of the FPSO charter.
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Marubeni Corp more info
- JOGMEC, Inpex, Marubeni Ink Exploration Deal with Rosneft (Dec 15)
- Indonesia's Small-Scale LNG Plans Face Several Challenges (Apr 15)
- MODEC Secures Japanese Partners in Petrobras FPSO Project (Apr 14)
Company: MODEC International more info
- Shell Extends MODEC's Contract for FPSO Fluminense to December 2020 (Sep 02)
- Keppel's BrasFELS Completes Project for MODEC's FPSO (Jun 29)
- McDermott Joins 14 Other Offshore Firms to Establish Industry Standards (May 19)