PdVSA Signs $4.5B Gas Supply Contract With Eni, Repsol
CARACAS (Dow Jones Newswires), Dec. 23, 2011
Venezuelan state energy giant Petroleos de Venezuela signed a supply contract with Italy's Eni SpA (E) and Spain's Repsol YPF SA (REP) that will allow for development of the South American country's offshore Perla gas fields.
The project, which is expected to begin production toward the end of next year, is slated to help Venezuela overcome power shortages that have plagued it for at least the last two years and have resulted in having to import gas from Colombia to meet the deficit.
Around 300 million cubic feet of gas is expected to be produced by 2013, Venezuelan Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez said at a signing ceremony with heads of Eni and Repsol.
The European companies currently have split ownership of Perla, which is located in the Cardon IV bloc and is considered Latin America's largest natural-gas find. However, PdVSA, as the company is known, has a 35 percent back-in right to be exercised in the development phase.
Perla is expected to receive around $4.5 billion in investment for the initial development stage, with $3 billion coming from Eni and $1.5 billion from Repsol.
Copyright (c) 2011 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Union Leader: PDVSA's Amuay Refinery Halts Distillation Unit (Nov 30)
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Venezuelan Oil Output Heads to 29-Year Low as Cash Crunch Grows (Nov 10)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)