Petrobras Cancels Tender to Buy 21 Offshore Rigs
SAO PAULO (Dow Jones Newswires), Dec. 22, 2011
Brazil's government-run oil company, Petroleo Brasileiro SA on Thursday said it has canceled a much-delayed tender to buy 21 offshore drill rigs, and will instead open direct negotiations with two suppliers.
"The company will immediately begin negotiations with the two proponents, Ocean Rig do Brasil Ltda and Sete Brasil Participacoes S.A., with the objective of securing the best conditions," Petrobras said in a statement.
Petrobras didn't provide any reasons for the change of plan. The drill rigs are scheduled to be built in Brazil.
Earlier this year, Petrobras signed a separate contract with Sete Brasil to build a lot of seven offshore drilling rigs. That deal was the first tender in a broader 28-rig order planned by the company.
Copyright (c) 2011 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
Manages 6 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras To Invest 137 Million Reais Iin Sao Paulo Refinery (Mar 08)
- Petrobras Chief Says US Refinery Sale Ongoing, No Plans To Build Elsewhere (Mar 05)
- Petrobras to Sell Pasadena, Texas, Refinery (Feb 06)
Company: Ocean Rig more info
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Avenue Capital Urges Ocean Rig To Hire Advisers (Oct 17)
- Rig Contractor Ocean RIG Files For Bankruptcy Protection In US (Mar 28)
- Ocean Rig Acquires an Ultra Deepwater Drillship for $65M (Apr 27)