Aker Solutions Scores Drilling Equipment Contract for DSME
Aker Solutions has received a Letter of Award from Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME), to supply two drilling equipment packages to the new 'Cat D' drilling rigs the yard is building for the rig operator Songa Offshore. Options (if exercised) for two additional units are included. Contract value is undisclosed.
The development of the two Cat D semi-submersible drilling rigs has been initiated by Statoil, the international energy company, which awarded two long-term contracts for the units to Songa in July 2011.
The first two units will be delivered in 2014, and the main deliveries from Aker Solutions will take place in 2012 and 2013. The contract includes topside drilling equipment, procurement and commissioning of the rigs at the DSME yard. The two optional units (if exercised) are scheduled for completion in 2015.
"We are very pleased to win these contracts, which demonstrate the good cooperation between Statoil and the drilling operators and drilling system providers. Together, we have developed a new generation drilling and well intervention design, purpose made for the needs for North Sea operations, through a joint FEED (front end engineering and design) phase. We are also looking forward to continuing the good, long-term collaboration with DSME on this project, the latest addition to a long string of successful joint projects," said Thor Arne Håverstad, head of Aker Solutions' drilling technologies business.
Work on the project will start immediately in Kristiansand, Norway, and in other Aker Solutions drilling technologies units in Asker, Norway, Erkelenz, Germany and Houston in the US.
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Songa Offshore to Cut 430 Jobs Due to Ongoing Norway Oil, Gas Strikes (Sep 30)
- Songa Encourage Rig Commences 8-Year Statoil Drilling Contract (Apr 12)
Company: Aker Solutions more info
- Aker BP Buys Hess' Norway Unit For $2B (Oct 24)
- Aker Completes More Than Two-Thirds of Cost-Cutting Program (May 09)
- Aker Solutions Reduces Total Headcount by Almost 5,000 Since 2014 (Mar 30)
Company: Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering Company (DSME) more info
- World's Top Two Shipyards Signal More Orders as Earnings Improve (Apr 27)
- Daewoo Shipbuilding's Bailout Plan Cleared by Pension Fund (Apr 17)
- After 20,000 Job Cuts, World's Top Shipyards Brace for More (Oct 26)