Tullow Sells Uganda Stake to Total, CNOOC for $2.9B
Tullow has signed Sale and Purchase Agreements (SPAs) with CNOOC and Total in respect of the sale of a one third interest to each party of the interests Tullow holds in Exploration Areas 1, 2 and 3A in Uganda. Tullow will retain a one third interest. The terms of the transactions include a total cash consideration payable to Tullow of US $2.9 billion.
With the signing of these SPAs, a key condition of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) agreed between Tullow, the Government of Uganda (GoU) and the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) on March 15, 2011, has been satisfied. The next step is for Tullow to make certain tax related payments to the GoU, on receipt of which all relevant consents become final and the other provisions of the MoU become effective.
Under the MoU, Tullow and its new Partners, CNOOC and Total, have been granted new licenses over EA-1 and an onshore area of EA-3A and the partnership's rights to develop the Kingfisher discovery have been confirmed. A clear plan for the resolution of tax disputes on the various asset sales has been agreed by the GoU, the URA and Tullow.
Tullow and its Partners will now reactivate the significant program of exploration and appraisal drilling and progress their development plans for the basin which they will jointly present to the Government of Uganda for approval.
Commenting, Aidan Heavey, Chief Executive, said, "These agreements have secured the future of oil production in Uganda. Tullow, its partners and the Government of Uganda will now agree a development plan for the Lake Albert Rift Basin with a target of delivering production of at least 200,000 bopd and potentially much more as we continue to explore and appraise the basin. We are looking forward to working with CNOOC and Total, and continuing our strong relationship with the Government to bring the benefits of the oil to the people of Uganda."
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
- UK's Tullow Oil Lifts Outlook On Higher Crude Prices, Output (Nov 08)
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)
Company: CNOOC more info
- CNOOC 3Q Revenue Rises; Only Halfway To 2017 Spending Goal (Oct 25)
- CNOOC Completes Test Runs at Huizhou Refinery in Guangdong - Report (Oct 09)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)