Kosmos Hits Paydirt Offshore Ghana
Kosmos Energy has reported that its Teak-2 exploration well in the West Cape Three Points license offshore Ghana has discovered 89 feet (27 meters) of net hydrocarbon-bearing Campanian and Turonian reservoirs.
The well was targeting an undrilled fault block between the Jubilee field and the Teak-1 discovery well, located 1.1 mile (1.8 kilometers) southwest of the Teak discovery well and 2.1 miles (3.5 kilometers) northwest of the Mahogany-2 well.
Drilling results confirm that the well has intersected five intervals containing high quality oil, gas and gas-condensate. Twenty feet (Six meters) of net oil and gas pay were encountered at the top of good quality Campanian reservoirs, over 328 feet (100 meters) thick. Tullow states that the Jubilee equivalent Turonian reservoirs contain 69 feet (21 meters) of net hydrocarbon pay, 52 feet (16 meters) of which is gas.
Additionally, static pressure data suggests that this potentially forms a gas cap to the Jubilee oil field. Further analyses and pressure interference testing will determine hydrocarbon contacts and the extent of these two adjoining fields.
The well was drilled by the Atwood Hunter semisub to a depth of 11,184 feet (3,409 meters) in a water depth of 2,904 feet (885 meters). Suspension operations will ensue, and then the rig will move to drill the Banda-1 well. Kosmos Energy operates the license, holding a 30.875% interest. Partners in the license include Tullow (22.896%), Anadarko (30.875%), E.O. Group (3.5%), Sabre Oil & Gas (1.854%), and the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (10% carried interest).SubseaIQ provides focused, in-depth coverage of offshore field development activities around the world, with daily updates on hundreds of offshore fields and facilities. Click here to sign up for the free weekly email newsletter.
- 4 Ways Agile Sourcing Can Lead Enterprises to Success (Nov 10)
- Gadfly: Anadarko Woke Up, and It Really Smells the Coffee (Nov 01)
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
- UK's Tullow Oil Lifts Outlook On Higher Crude Prices, Output (Nov 08)
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)
Company: Kosmos Energy more info
- BP's West Africa Partner Kosmos To List In London By End-September (Aug 02)
- BP, Kosmos Make Major Gas Find Off Coast Of Senegal (May 08)
- BP to Create New LNG Hub in Africa with Latest Kosmos Buy (Dec 19)