Rosneft Defends BP Venture, Tells TNK-BP to Back Off
MOSCOW (Dow Jones Newswires), March 11, 2011
Russian state-controlled oil producer Rosneft said it is committed to the deal it struck with BP on an Arctic development and isn't in talks with TNK-BP Ltd. about replacing the U.K. oil major as a partner.
Amid efforts by BP's Russian partners in TNK-BP to muscle their way into a $16 billion share swap and Arctic development deal with Rosneft, Rosneft said it will take "all necessary measures" to protect its tie-up with BP.
"TNK-BP was never considered as a possible participant in the alliance," Rosneft said in a statement. "TNK-BP has never been considered a potential participant in the alliance due to its lack of required competence."
The move comes as TNK-BP's board is scheduled to vote this Saturday on a proposal to replace BP in joint project with Rosneft.
BP's partners in TNK-BP--a group of Soviet-born businessmen known as the Alfa-Access-Renova consortium, or AAR--are opposed to the alliance between BP and Rosneft, arguing that under the TNK-BP shareholder agreement, BP must use its joint venture as vehicle for all projects within Russia.
"Rosneft once again underscores that it did not conduct and is not conducting any negotiations with the AAR group or TNK-BP," Rosneft said.
"Any actions aimed at breaking the deal or inflicting damage on Rosneft will be analyzed and as a result all necessary measures will be taken to protect interests of its shareholders," Rosneft continued.
AAR won an injunction on the deal at a London arbitration tribunal in late January, and a ruling is expected in the beginning of April.
Copyright (c) 2011 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: Rosneft more info
- Russia's Rosneft, In U-Turn, Plans To Bid For Alrosa's Gas Assets (Dec 29)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
- Russia's Rosneft Signs Oil Supply Deal With Greece's Motor Oil (Nov 20)
Company: TNK-BP more info
- Rosneft Board Member Rejects Criticism of TNK-BP Buyout (Oct 04)
- Rosneft: TNK-BP Integration 'Mostly Complete' (Jun 20)
- TNK-BP Acquisition Boosts Rosneft's 1Q Production (Apr 30)