Oil Extends Rally Led by Saudi Warning
Oil rose for a third day as a bullish US stockpile report propelled a rally led by Saudi Arabia’s warning to short sellers.
West Texas Intermediate futures settled above $74 a barrel, closing Wednesday at the highest level since early May. Saudi Arabian Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman told speculators earlier this week to “watch out,” which some interpreted as a signal that OPEC and its allies may be considering another output cut ahead of its meeting next week. Meanwhile, US crude inventories fell the most since November, a government report showed.
However, the continuing standoff over debt ceiling talks in Washington, which has weighed heavily on broader financial markets, continues to cap crude’s rise. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said late Tuesday the two parties had yet to reach a deal to avert a first-ever default.
Despite the recent rally, oil is still down around 7% for the year as traders grapple with China’s lackluster post-Covid economic recovery, interest-rate hikes from the Federal Reserve and the US debt conundrum. Russian exports have also remained robust, despite pledges to cut production in retaliation for Western sanctions.
- WTI for July delivery rose $1.43 cents to settle at $74.34 a barrel in New York.
- Brent for the same month gained $1.52 cents to settle at $78.36 a barrel.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Chevron Starts Up Gorgon Extension Project
- Enagas Opens Logistics Bidding for Mothballed Asturias Terminal
- Macquarie Group Reveals Oil Market Outlook
- USA EIA Hikes Up 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- ADNOC Chief: Shift from Fossil Fuel Unavoidable
- Eni Inks Deal to Build Hybrid Renewables-Gas Plant in Kazakhstan
- Biden Urged to Demand Climate Emergency as Smoke Chokes Washington
- Global Oil Demand for Road Transport to Peak in 2027: BNEF
- Improved Wage Offer Ends North Sea Dispute
- Saudis Remind Global Oil Market Who is King
- Saudi to Cut Output by 1MM BPD in Solo OPEC+ Move
- Data Science is the Future of Oil and Gas
- Debt Ceiling Deal Becomes Law
- What Do Latest OPEC+ Moves Mean?
- Fatality At North Rankin Complex
- TotalEnergies Inks Agua Marinha PSC in Brazil
- North America Loses More Rigs
- Two Main Forces Have Come Together to Pull Down Commodity Prices
- Par Pacific Completes Buy of ExxonMobil Refinery
- Which Generation Is Most in Demand in Oil, Gas Right Now?
- Who Is the Most Prolific Private Oil and Gas Producer in the USA?
- USA EIA Slashes 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- BMI Reveals Latest Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Is There a Danger That Oil and Gas Runs out of Financing?
- BMI Projects Gasoline Price Through to 2026
- What Will World Oil Demand Be in 2023?
- North America Rig Count Reduction Rumbles On
- What New Oil and Gas Jobs Will Exist in the Future?
- What Does a 2023 USA Recession Mean for Oil and Gas in the Country?