Oil Companies Donate $16.5MM to Open Schools in Permian
The Permian Strategic Partnership, a group of 20 Permian Basin energy companies, will donate $16.5 million to help open 14 schools in Midland and Odessa by 2025, the coalition announced Sunday.
PSP, formed last year, will help bring IDEA public schools to the Permian beginning in the fall of 2020.
PSP’s donation, along with private funding from businesses, foundations and individuals, is allowing the project to move forward. A total of 14 schools will be opened at seven sites across Midland and Odessa by the 2024-25 school year. First will be IDEA Travis Academy and College Prep in partnership with Midland ISD in August of 2020. The following year, IDEA will expand to Odessa.
Production in the Permian has been red-hot the past couple of years, which has caused an influx of workers and families to the area. As a result, home prices have skyrocketed and families have been waitlisted for childcare services.
Earlier this year, Anadarko Petroleum Corp., Chevron Corp., Occidental Petroleum Corp. and EOG Resources, Inc. helped to alleviate the childcare challenges by sponsoring the opening of a school in Midland.
“Improving public education is vital to the success of our communities and is a top priority for PSP and our member companies,” PSP chairman Don Evans said in a release. “With the broad community support for IDEA and the fact that bringing high-performing charter schools into a district is proven to have a positive effect on all district schools, we are delighted to financially support IDEA’s expansion into the Permian Basin. This will be our first major funding commitment since establishing the Partnership last fall, and we feel it’s very appropriate that our first investment is for the education of our children, who are the future of this region.”
PSP's CEO Tracee Bentley told Rigzone that future endeavors by the organization are guided by its desire to make the Permian Basin a world-class place to live.
"The Permian provides energy the world needs, supports and creates tens of thousands of local jobs and generates billions in state and local tax revenues," she said. "But the potential of the region will only be fully realized if significant infrastructure and service challenges are addressed, and we seek to respond to those challenges when we undertake PSP initiatives."
The PSP’s members are:
- BPX Energy
- Cimarex Energy
- Concho Resources
- Devon Energy
- Diamondback Energy
- Endeavor Energy Resources
- EOG Resources
- XTO Energy
- Parsley Energy
- Pioneer Natural Resources
- Plains All American Pipeline
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- USA EIA Hikes Up 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Macquarie Group Reveals Oil Market Outlook
- Chevron Starts Up Gorgon Extension Project
- Biden Urged to Demand Climate Emergency as Smoke Chokes Washington
- Eni Inks Deal to Build Hybrid Renewables-Gas Plant in Kazakhstan
- Enagas Opens Logistics Bidding for Mothballed Asturias Terminal
- ADNOC Chief: Shift from Fossil Fuel Unavoidable
- Oil Down as Demand Concerns Supercede Saudi Cuts
- Improved Wage Offer Ends North Sea Dispute
- Global Oil Demand for Road Transport to Peak in 2027: BNEF
- Saudis Remind Global Oil Market Who is King
- Saudi to Cut Output by 1MM BPD in Solo OPEC+ Move
- Data Science is the Future of Oil and Gas
- Debt Ceiling Deal Becomes Law
- Two Main Forces Have Come Together to Pull Down Commodity Prices
- What Do Latest OPEC+ Moves Mean?
- Fatality At North Rankin Complex
- USA Shale Seen Holding Firm on Returns
- Par Pacific Completes Buy of ExxonMobil Refinery
- North America Loses More Rigs
- Which Generation Is Most in Demand in Oil, Gas Right Now?
- Who Is the Most Prolific Private Oil and Gas Producer in the USA?
- BMI Reveals Latest Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Is There a Danger That Oil and Gas Runs out of Financing?
- BMI Projects Gasoline Price Through to 2026
- What Will World Oil Demand Be in 2023?
- North America Rig Count Reduction Rumbles On
- What New Oil and Gas Jobs Will Exist in the Future?
- What Does a 2023 USA Recession Mean for Oil and Gas in the Country?
- USA Oil and Gas Supported Nearly 11MM Jobs