Lukoil On The Money In Mexico With New Oil Discovery
Russian oil and gas firm Lukoil has made an oil discovery within the Yoti West structure at Block 12 offshore Mexico.
The field was discovered after drilling the first exploration well. According to preliminary estimates, the initial oil in place reaches 250 million barrels.
The Yoti West-1 EXP well was drilled 37 miles offshore from the Valaris 8505 semi-submersible platform. The well penetrated a sand reservoir in Upper Miocene sediments with high permeability and effective oil-saturated thickness of about 80 feet. An assessment plan for the Yoti West field is planned to be developed based on drilling results.
In 2017, Lukoil obtained the right for exploration and production of hydrocarbons at Block 12 in the Gulf of Mexico. The Block has an area of around 130,000 acres. The stakeholders are Lukoil with 60 percent as the project operator and Eni as a partner which holds the remaining 40 percent.
Two successful exploration wells were previously drilled at Block 10 offshore Mexico where Lukoil owns 20 percent and Eni is the operator. The resource base of the Block is currently being assessed based on drilling results.
In July, Lukoil bought a 50 percent operator interest in the Area 4 project in Mexico through the acquisition of the operator’s holding company for a total value of $435 million, plus expenditures incurred in 2021 as of the transaction completion date.
The project includes two blocks offshore Mexico in the Gulf of Mexico. Two oil fields located within the blocks, named Ichalkil and Pokoch, hold 564 million barrels of oil equivalent of recoverable hydrocarbon reserves, more than 80 percent of which is crude oil.
To contact the author, email email@example.com
What do you think? We’d love to hear from you, join the conversation on the
Rigzone Energy Network.
The Rigzone Energy Network is a new social experience created for you and all energy professionals to Speak Up about our industry, share knowledge, connect with peers and industry insiders and engage in a professional community that will empower your career in energy.
Editor | Rigzone
- Chevron Starts Up Gorgon Extension Project
- Enagas Opens Logistics Bidding for Mothballed Asturias Terminal
- Macquarie Group Reveals Oil Market Outlook
- ADNOC Chief: Shift from Fossil Fuel Unavoidable
- USA EIA Hikes Up 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Eni Inks Deal to Build Hybrid Renewables-Gas Plant in Kazakhstan
- Global Oil Demand for Road Transport to Peak in 2027: BNEF
- Biden Urged to Demand Climate Emergency as Smoke Chokes Washington
- Saudis Remind Global Oil Market Who is King
- Saudi to Cut Output by 1MM BPD in Solo OPEC+ Move
- Data Science is the Future of Oil and Gas
- Debt Ceiling Deal Becomes Law
- What Do Latest OPEC+ Moves Mean?
- Fatality At North Rankin Complex
- TotalEnergies Inks Agua Marinha PSC in Brazil
- North America Loses More Rigs
- Par Pacific Completes Buy of ExxonMobil Refinery
- Does the Global Drug Trafficking Industry Affect Oil and Gas?
- Which Generation Is Most in Demand in Oil, Gas Right Now?
- Who Is the Most Prolific Private Oil and Gas Producer in the USA?
- USA EIA Slashes 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- BMI Reveals Latest Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Is There a Danger That Oil and Gas Runs out of Financing?
- BMI Projects Gasoline Price Through to 2026
- What Will World Oil Demand Be in 2023?
- North America Rig Count Reduction Rumbles On
- What New Oil and Gas Jobs Will Exist in the Future?
- What Does a 2023 USA Recession Mean for Oil and Gas in the Country?