LAST UPDATED: January 9, 2014
Rigzone.com and Dice Holdings, Inc. are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our users while providing personalized career management services on our websites.
Note: Any reference to "we," "us", "our website" or Rigzone are references to the www.rigzone.com site (the "Website") and all of our partner career centers. Rigzone provides links to the websites of many other companies to which this policy does not apply. We cannot, and do not, assume responsibility for the privacy or information policies, practices or actions of any third parties.
Dice Holdings, Inc complies with the U.S. E.U. Safe Harbor framework and the U.S. - Swiss Safe Harbor framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of data from the European Union member countries and Switzerland. Dice Holdings, Inc. has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. Information regarding both the E.U. and Swiss Safe Harbor Frameworks and to view Dice Holdings, Inc.’s certification, can be found at: http://export.gov/safeharbor
A. The information we gather.
We gather two types of information about users:
Non-personally identifiable information (information that does not identify a specific individual): When visitors use the Services, we collect and aggregate information indicating, among other things, which pages were visited, the order in which they were visited, and which links were ""clicked." Collecting such information involves the collection and logging of IP addresses, operating system, and browser software used by each user of the Services. Although such information is not personally identifiable, we can determine from the IP address a visitor's Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of his or her point of connectivity.
The non-personally identifiable information we collect helps us identify the most popular areas of our Website and determine the effectiveness of our promotional activities. In addition, we may disclose some of this information to advertisers to inform them of the number of people who have seen and/or clicked through their advertisements. We collect non-personally identifiable information in part through the use of "cookies" - that is, small text files placed on your computer's hard drive - that help us determine the type of content and pages to which you link, the length of time you spend at any particular area of the Services, and the Services you choose to use.
Cookies allow us to serve you better and more efficiently, and to personalize your experience with the Services. Nevertheless, you should be able to control how and whether cookies will be accepted by your web browser. For more information on how to do so, please refer to the documentation accompanying your browser.
Third Party Advertisers
Please note that our advertisers and their designees, as well as other third parties, may collect information about you through cookies or other technologies when they serve advertisements through the Services or when you visit their web site(s). If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you targeted ads, you may opt-out by clicking here (http://preferences.truste.com/). Please note this does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive generic ads.
Links to Other Sites
Personally identifiable information: In certain areas of the Services, such as those in which you complete a profile, submit your resume, create a new account, or enter Rigzone-sponsored contests or promotions, we may request that you provide us with certain personally identifiable information, such as your e-mail address, name, zip code, profession, or work experience. We will, in such situations, seek to identify which informational items are required and which are optional. When a user chooses to create a Rigzone advertisement we also collect billing information.
Job seekers should post profiles and resumes on our Website only if they wish such information to be viewed by our customers. At any time, job seekers may elect that their profile and resume not be searchable by our customers by logging into their account and changing the status of their profile or, if that is not possible, they may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make the change for them.
In addition, job seekers may elect to make their profile searchable by our customers on a confidential basis only. In this case, the user's name and contact information will not be displayed to customers performing searches on the Website. If the customer desires to contact the confidential job seeker regarding an employment opportunity, they will send an email to the job seeker through our system. We will forward the email to the seeker's email address. The seeker's email address will not be provided directly to the customer. When posting a resume confidentially, it is the job seeker's responsibility to ensure that their contact information is not included within their resume attachment.
The Services are not available to children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13 years of age.
Please note that we cannot control the acts of users of the Services. All members and visitors should be aware that, when they disclose personally identifiable information in a resume or profile or other medium, the information may be collected and used by others to send that person unsolicited email from other parties outside Rigzone. In the event that you encounter any Rigzone user who is improperly collecting or using information about you or other users, please contact email@example.com.
B. How we use (and do not use) the information we gather.
Please take some time to familiarize yourself with the different ways we use the information we gather. Keep in mind that, while Rigzone encourages all third parties involved, including but not limited to its advertisers, to adhere to our policies regarding the privacy of our visitors and members and to otherwise handle personally identifiable information in a responsible manner, we cannot and do not assume any responsibility for any actions or omissions of third parties, including the manner in which they use information received either from Rigzone or independently. Nevertheless, in the event you encounter any third party associated with, or who claims association with Rigzone, who you feel is improperly collecting or using information about you, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to forward your message to the third party or contact the third party on your behalf.
- How we use (and do not use) non-personally identifiable information: We use non-personally identifiable information in aggregate form to build higher quality, more useful Services by performing statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of our visitors and members, and by measuring demographics and interests regarding specific areas of the Services. We may provide statistical information based on this data to advertisers, users, and other current and potential business partners. We may also use the aggregate data to inform these third parties as to the number of people who have seen and clicked through links to their sites.
How we use (and do not use) personally identifiable information:
We do not sell, re-sell or distribute for re-sale your personally identifiable information. Our customers may only use the information provided in resumes and profiles of job seekers to evaluate seekers' qualifications for the customer's open job opportunities. Job seekers should be aware, however, that Rigzone has no way to control how a customer actually uses the service and how they use the resume and profile information. If you believe a Rigzone customer is using personally identifiable information inappropriately, please notify Rigzone at email@example.com.
If Rigzone is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Website of any change in ownership or uses of your personally identifiable information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personally identifiable information. Rigzone reserves the right to assign, sell, license, or otherwise transfer to a third party your personally identifiable information in connection with an assignment, sale, joint venture, or other transfer or disposition of any portion or all of Rigzone's or its affiliated entities' assets or stock.
Subject to the foregoing, Rigzone uses your personally identifying information in several ways:
- to customize various aspects of the Services to your preferences;
- to determine which advertisements or sponsor messages will appear on your screen;
- to send to you Rigzone solicitations, product announcements, and the like that we feel may be of interest to you (you may "opt out" of receiving these materials, as provided below);
- to send to you certain e-mail messages that are critical to your use of the Services, such as system status updates or order confirmations (because these messages contain important information, you may not be able to "opt out" of receiving such messages);
- to "pre-populate" forms that are displayed for the purpose of collecting individual data by Rigzone and/or its sponsors (in no case will pre-populating a form automatically transfer any data to an advertiser or other third party - only if you voluntarily request that such data be transferred will any such transfer take place, e.g., by clicking the "Submit" button); and
- as may be necessary to support the operation of the Services, such as for billing, account maintenance, and record-keeping purposes.
In addition to the circumstances described above, Rigzone may disclose your personally-identifiable information to third parties as follows:
- When a job seeker posts a profile or resume on the Website on a non-confidential basis, such information will be shared with our customers. (Note that at any time, job seekers may elect that their profile and resume not be searchable by our customers by logging into their account and changing the status of their profile or they may contact Rigzone at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make the change for them.)
- When a job seeker elects to make his or her profile searchable by our customers on a confidential basis only, the user's name and contact information will not be displayed to customers performing searches on the site. If the customer desires to contact the confidential job seeker regarding an employment opportunity, it will send an email to the job seeker through the Rigzone system. We will forward the email to the seeker's email address. The seeker's email address will not be provided directly to the customer. When posting a resume confidentially, it is the job seeker's responsibility to ensure that their contact information is not included within their resume attachment.
- If you "opt in" to receive promotional materials from third parties, information you have made available to us may be made available to third parties who provide goods or services that we believe may be of interest to you.
- We may provide your personally identifiable information to companies that provide services to help us with our business activities such as processing credit card transaction or offering customer service. These companies are authorized to use your personally identifiable information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
- Opting Out: You may receive promotional materials from us about Rigzone Services, or on behalf of Rigzone's affiliates, advertisers, or other business partners. You may "opt out" of receiving such materials at any time in a variety of ways: by using the "opt-out" link included in each email, by changing your subscriptions preferences on the "user settings" page in your Rigzone account or by contacting us at email@example.com. If you have provided more than one email address to our service, you may continue to be contacted, unless you request to unsubscribe each email address you have provided. If you opted in to receive information directly from third parties, then you must contact those third parties directly to opt-out.
- All information made available to Rigzone may be made available to our contractors and consultants, and professional advisors (such as attorneys or accountants), but only to the extent necessary for them to perform services on our behalf, and only under a duty of confidentiality.
- Email to a Friend: If you choose to use our referral service to tell another person about a job, we will ask you for that person's email address. We will automatically send that person a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the site. We use this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email, and do not store these email addresses.
The security of your personally identifiable information is important to us. When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personally identifiable information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our Website, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
D. Surveys and Sweepstakes
Occasionally, Rigzone may conduct surveys in order to better deliver advertisements and content and to better understand your needs relating to the Services. We will not share your survey information with any third party, except in aggregate form.
From time-to-time we may provide you the opportunity to participate in contests or surveys on our site. If you participate, we will request certain personally identifiable information from you. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. The requested information typically includes contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as zip code). That information, to the extent it conflicts with this policy, will govern that particular promotion or sweepstakes – please remember to read it carefully.
We may use this information to notify contest winners and award prizes, to monitor Website use, to personalize the site, to send participants an email, and to measure participants' demographics, interests and opinions. We may use a third party service provider to conduct these surveys or contests; that company will be prohibited from using our users' personally identifiable information for any other purpose. We will not share the personally identifiable information you provide through a contest or survey with other third parties unless we give you prior notice and choice.
E. Social Media Features
F. Forums/Bulletin Boards/Comments
If you contribute to any user generated forum on this Website (for example: answers, debate, comments), you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums.
G. Correcting personally identifiable information
If you would like to have your personally identifiable information removed from Rigzone's database, or would like to correct an error in such information, please contact us at email@example.com, and we will use reasonable efforts to comply with your request. Keep in mind, however, that there will be residual information that will remain within Rigzone databases, access logs, and other records, which may or may not contain such personally identifiable information. The residual information will not be used for commercial purposes; if you have provided more than one email address to our service, you may continue to be contacted, unless you request to unsubscribe each email address you may have provided.
- Access: If your personally identifiable information changes, or if you no longer desire our service, you may correct, update, amend, delete/remove or deactivate it by making the change on our member information page or by emailing our Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting us by telephone or postal mail at the contact information listed below. We will respond to your request to access within 30 days.
- Data Retention: We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you Services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you Services, contact us at email@example.com. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.