Skills: Civil Engineering, Engineering Manager, Technical Manager
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Associates/2 yr Degree/Diploma
Location: Barnwood, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
As the demand for our expertise continues to grow, an opportunity has arisen for an Engineering Manager (CDM) to support our Clean Energy business unit at our Gloucester office. This Your role is key to delivery of technical support to UK nuclear new build, providing mentoring and guidance to junior staff and being part of an energetic team within Wood.
The successful individual will be responsible for leading and providing key input to tasks which require knowledge in the application of CDM across all prescribed roles. Experience of direct interface with existing clients, as well as excellent relationship building and consultancy skills which lead to the generation of new business would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will play an important role in this growing technical workstream over the coming years and the role will provide excellent opportunities for the development of skills, particularly where these are applied to nuclear engineering. Depending upon experience, the role will offer the potential to lead technical developments and collaborations, to mentor others and to manage the team responsible for their implementation.
Preparation and technical assessment of:
- Support clients to meet Designer / Contractor obligations under CDM2015, including preparation of Health and Safety files, supporting competency assessment, etc.
- Provision of CDM awareness training courses in house and to clients,
- Facilitate and record HAZID workshops,
- Undertake design risk reviews and develop client design risk registers, managing other disciplinary interfaces,
- Advise on how to manage residual risk to support clients,
- Oversee other aspects of engineering support e.g. engineering calculations, risk and reliability, human factors, I&C qualification, equipment qualification, environmental,
- Lead/Support Design Gateway Reviews.
- Mentoring juniors,
- Delivery to client on time, within budget and to high quality,
- Able to represent Wood at client meeting,
- Leading and/or influencing our offering to customers at bid stage,
- Understanding of the requirements of other engineering disciplines,
- Reviewing design and design substantiation documentation,
- Supporting refurbishment/modification projects to extend life of plant
- Planning and estimating of engineering work packages
- Production of engineering deliverables in accordance with relevant regulations, codes, standards and Wood Client quality assurance requirements
- Attending and contributing to design / HAZOP and construction reviews
- Ensuring Relevant Good Practice and LFE are incorporated
- Ensure interaction with other disciplines for known interfaces
Skills / Qualifications
- Engineering degree
- Ideally Chartered Engineer
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of multidiscipline equipment design and manufacture, and CDM notifiable construction/refurbishment projects in hazardous areas
- Good understanding across mechanical, electrical and civil engineering disciplines
- Fully conversant with UK occupational Health and Safety Regulations and legislation
- Experience of UK Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations and Building Regulations
- Experience of application of CDM 2015 to engineering design and build projects
- Experience of application of CDM to nuclear projects beneficial
- Experience of HAZOP and other hazard identification tools
- Experience of working with customers and suppliers in a high quality environment
- Good awareness of conformity assessment and work equipment regulations
- The ideal candidate would be fluent in English but have additional language skills in French, Chinese, Japanese or Korean
- Beneficial to have an understanding of nuclear reactors
- Background in the Nuclear industry within the UK
Familiarity with our major customers and the processes and procedures they use to control work.
Qualifications & Experience
- Hold a degree in an Engineering discipline plus demonstrable experience,
- Chartered (CEng) status.
Wood has a progressive programme of career development and supports engineers throughout their career. Professional development is catered for through training courses and attendance at external events.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life-cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
Wood is ranked among Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings. Find out more here.