Knutsford, United Kingdom
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Skills: Safety Engineering
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Knutsford, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is recruiting for a Principal Safety Case Engineer with experience with Hazards and Radiological Consequences to join our New Nuclear and Generation Services business to support our existing and new customers.
Principal Safety Case Engineers are excepted to have significant, demonstrable experience in delivering solutions to the civil nuclear, defence or other high consequence sectors. Candidates will be familiar with the requirements of working in regulated industries and the successful individual will be capable of working autonomously. The successful candidate will have experience of leading a small technical team to deliver an excellent service to customers whilst developing more junior engineers. Specifically candidates should have and understanding of internal and external fault analysis and risk and reliability assessments using recognised techniques such as FMEA, FMCEA, FTA, HAZID and HAZOP. They should also have experience of producing safety justifications and other safety related documentation. Experience of combined hazards analysis would be beneficial. Experience of production of structural integrity safety cases would be a particular advantage.
This role will be based at one of our home offices at Canary Wharf in London, Harwell in Oxfordshire, Knutsford in Cheshire, Bristol or in Gloucester in Gloucestershire. In addition to working in our home offices there is an expectation that individuals will be flexible to work at our client sites and in the offices of our clients around the UK and internationally. Opportunities for exciting business travel and secondments and cross-cultural experiences exist for the right candidates.
The Amec Foster Wheeler New Nuclear and Generation Services business provides specialist engineering, safety case support across a range of technical safety disciplines and safety case project management to our customers’ operations within the Nuclear Sector and we have long term relationships with multiple major clients in the civil nuclear and defence industries. We have opportunities to work across a variety of nuclear projects at all stages of the project life cycle, from initial planning to end of life decommissioning. You will be joining an organisation that delivers an integrated customer solution that draws upon the global Amec Foster Wheeler skills base.
From the commencement of your employment, you will be expected have the drive and energy to develop and train, and for the right candidate mentor, within both our organisation and that of our key clients, looking for win-win opportunities.
Skills / Qualifications
- Education, at least to degree level in a physics, mechanical engineering or other nuclear specific related discipline.
- A willingness to spend time working on a client site.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Additional language skills would be a strong advantage – especially French, Mandarin/Chinese, Japanese, and Korean
- Experience and demonstration of working well in teams. We are also looking for more experience safety case professionals who can lead, coordinate and develop teams
- A UK driving licence would be an advantage
Expectations for the role
- Always work safely. SAFETY FIRST is always the priority.
- Value diversity and inclusion
- Maintain appropriate conduct and ethics, and work with a culture of nuclear professionalism.
- Comply with company and client policies and processes.
- Cooperate with client officials acting in an official capacity within established guidelines.
- Support the growth of the business and ensure excellent delivery.
- Plan and manage own engineering design and assessment work within associated project budgets
- Engage with clients in order to understand technical needs and develop successful working relationships
- Carry out feasibility/option studies to provide cost-effective design solutions to client challenges
- Verification of peer and junior engineer’s technical delivery
- Assist with technical input for proposals/tenders and other business development activities
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
Wood is ranked among Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings. Find out more here.