Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, TX, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Located in region: North America
This position will assist in the preparation of U.S. Federal and State income tax returns and conducting tax research to support proper federal and state return compliance.
This position will also assist in the preparation of federal and state income tax provision in compliance with Accounting for Income Tax (FAS 740) requirements.
This position requires the preparation of annual tax budgets, property tax accruals, franchise tax accruals and cash income tax payments.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Assist and prepare the U.S. federal and state tax work papers and tax returns.
- Assist and prepare the U.S. federal and state income tax provision for monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Prepare supporting documents for tax audits.
- Conduct U.S. federal and state tax research and planning.
- Prepare monthly tax schedule summarizing income taxes paid and forecasted periods.
- Prepare and file corporate annual reports, escheat reports, draft audit reports, business contractor licenses and miscellaneous reports for various states.
- Verify accurate coding on invoices.
- Assist in sales and property tax audits by locating and copying invoices and other data requested by auditors.
- Gather and provide property tax data to outside consultant and monitor assessments and payments of property taxes.
- Analyze liability accounts and make monthly accounting entries for ad valorem and franchise accruals.
- Maintain department information and records.
- Review abandoned property accounts, prepare and file applicable escheat returns for appropriate states.
- Prepare due diligence letters for all abandoned property account holders. Make remittances to state as needed.
- Maintain chart of state holding periods.
- Provide support to Accounts Payable for their preparation of Form 1099's and the filing of required data with the IRS.
- Stay abreast of reporting requirements and communicating developments with Accounts Payable.
- Interact professionally with both internal and external constituents; maintain effective working relationships and work in cooperation with the local accounting personnel for the assigned operations.
- Adhere to Company's policies and procedures.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Position Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, or equivalent, is required.
- Must be proficient in math equal to college level.
- Should have at least 3-5 years of experience in accounting.
- Must have knowledge of Accounting for Income Taxes ( ASC 740) reporting requirements and regulations.
- Must be a detail oriented, self-starter and able to work with little supervision while maintaining goals/tasks.
- Must have excellent PC skills to include all MS Office products.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills and able to effectively communicate in a professional manner with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while managing time in a proficient and effective manner.
- Preferable OneSoure Income Tax and Onesoure Tax Provision software experience.
The physical demands must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull and use repetitive wrist and hand movements. The employee may be required to lift and/or move objects of up to 25 pounds. Hearing, seeing ability to include depth perception, peripheral vision and rapid mental coordination. It is required to be mentally alert for entire regular shift.
This position works inside a climate-controlled environment in the corporate office of Parker Drilling Company. Parker Drilling Company will supply adequate training and equipment to meet the functions of the job. Travel will be required.
- Ensure that personal behaviors and work practices are in line with Company safety standards.
- Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, vendors and guests.
- Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk.
- Do not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk.
- Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company procedure.
- As needed, seek advice from HSE representative.