Houston, TX, US
Houston, TX, US
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, TX, US
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
Leadership of an IP team providing commercially-focused, value-driven, legal advice on IP matters related to the Oil Products businesses in collaboration with the IP DS Leadership Team, the broader LSIP department and Legal Services. Advice of the IP Oil Products team needs to be aligned with strategic and business direction of the Oil Products businesses. IP matters include advice on patent and trade secret portfolio counsel; IP risks including freedom of action and access to technology; IP licensing, M&A and other IP-related transactions; IP-related risks and mitigation strategies.
The Managing Counsel, Oil Products, IP Downstream will take strategic direction and leadership from the AGC, Downstream in collaboration with Oil Products businesses and the relevant LSDS teams. The MC will be the lead of the IP DS team for the Oil Products businesses and an active and collaborative member of the LSIP DS Leadership Team and the relevant LSDS teams. The MC will be responsible for a team that will include US and European patent attorneys and IP attorneys with transactional IP expertise.
The position will be responsible for:
- Leading the global LSIP DS Oil Products team that provides IP advice, support and related services to the Downstream businesses in a proactive, timely, cost-effective and professional manner consistent with business objectives and value driven;
- Team delivery that is consistent with professional standards, legal obligations, the Shell General Business Principles and the Shell Control Framework.
- Strong partnership with Oil Products businesses, the relevant LSDS teams and the rest of the IP and Legal community;
- Business-aligned, effective and efficient staff and budget allocation to achieve effective and efficient services levels;
- Performance – both in terms of delivery of business objectives as well as demonstrating the right behaviours - driven management of the team;
- Care for team members and ensure their professional and personal development, consistent with business need.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Significant post-qualification experience in intellectual property law and related IP matters and transactions.
- Strong performance record, accountability and interpersonal skills to effectively lead and develop a global team and independent contributors across multiple jurisdictions.
- Demonstrated ability to individually and through others work closely and cooperatively with peers and leadership across IP and Legal Departments, businesses and functional lines to deliver coordinated legal support; able to establish a credible, trusting connection across a range of boundaries.
- Experience working with businesses in the delivery of timely, cost-effective, commercially-focused legal services.
- Experience managing legal resources (budget and staff) in a cost-conscious and efficient environment.
- Past history of success and delivery improvement through challenging the status quo; successful examples of leadership through change.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video