Skills: Civil Engineering
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Cambridge, Canada
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler Environment & Infrastructure is seeking Materials Technicians to join our team in Southwestern Ontario (Cambridge, London, Sarnia and Windsor). Our group provides construction materials testing and quality control services (laboratory and field) to a variety of clients from civil contractors to provincial and federal agencies. Our work spans many sectors including oil & gas, mining, hydro power development, highway infrastructure, municipal infrastructure and commercial and industrial developments.
This position offers exciting and valuable opportunities for the motivated candidate to become trained in key aspects of our other related lines of business including environmental sciences, site assessment, remediation, earth sciences and geotechnical engineering. The position may include rotational work both within the province as well as outside Ontario on field projects, typically comprising of two to four weeks in the field. However please note that positions can extend past this timeline. For these projects, mobilization, accommodations and meal costs will be provided or reimbursed.
Cambridge, London, Sarnia, and/or Windsor, ON
- Perform laboratory and field testing and inspections for concrete, soils, aggregates and asphalt in accordance with relevant standards
- Conduct field subgrade inspections, nuclear compaction testing and the casting of concrete cylinders
- Assisting more senior geotechnical / materials staff on a wide range of site investigations
- Conducting various laboratory tests on soils, asphalt, concrete and aggregates
- Preparing field and laboratory reports
- Ensuring field and laboratory equipment is maintained, repaired and calibrated as required
- Maintain equipment inventory and records required for a CCIL certified laboratory
- Identify and develop new business opportunities
- Adhere to all company safety rules and policies
- Flexible hours including willingness to travel out of town and work overtime
Skills / Qualifications
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent
- Familiar with civil construction practices and relevant testing standards
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite including Word and Excel
- Familiar with Quality Management Systems
- Strong written and verbal communication and people management skills
- Experience in writing technical reports, business development and client relations
- Able to work independently in an office / laboratory setting and liaise with local office managers and supervisors
- Practical drafting experience using AutoCAD with knowledge of civil and municipal infrastructure design would be considered an asset
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving experience
- Heavy lifting required (samples, testing equipment)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the global energy and related sectors.
Employing around 36,000 people in more than 55 countries and with 2015 revenues of £5.5 billion, the company operates across the oil and gas industry – from production through to refining, processing and distribution of derivative products – and in the mining, clean energy, power generation, pharma, environment and infrastructure markets.
Amec Foster Wheeler offers full life-cycle services to offshore and onshore oil and gas projects (conventional and unconventional, upstream, midstream and downstream) for greenfield, brownfield and asset support projects, plus leading refining technology.
Amec Foster Wheeler shares are publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange and its American Depositary Shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Both trade under the ticker AMFW.