Skills: Structural Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Oshawa, Canada
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler (Nuclear Canada) is a rapidly growing engineering, nuclear safety and technical analysis company. We provide specialized services primarily to the power generation industry. Headquartered in downtown Toronto, we have over 500 staff, and we provide technical solutions to clients world-wide. Our work involves design engineering in all disciplines, and performing safety and engineering analyses using state-of-the-art engineering and analysis software, and interfacing with other engineering disciplines. Staff provide technical support to operating nuclear plants.
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting for a Civil Structural Engineer with extensive experience in the Nuclear industry.
We are looking for people with considerable experience in civil and structural engineering to join our Engineering Oversight Team. To fill this position you are required to have a sound foundation in civil design, structural analysis modeling and with substantial experience in applications to operating nuclear and other industrial plants. This is a senior level design engineer position and applicants will have minimum 10 years working experience in the nuclear industry, and must be a licensed professional engineer in Ontario. The main work location will be at the GM building in Oshawa and there will be some required business travel to the Joint Venture office on the west end occationally.
To deliver civil engineering expertise to power generation utilities and other customers. The specific accountabilities of the position are as follows:
- Provide civil engineering design and analysis for nuclear and other industrial plants.
- Provide a high level of expertise in one or more specific areas, e.g., piping, pressure vessels, rotating equipment, steam generators and other heat exchangers; structural steel, supports; control instrumentation assessment/design/specification of equipment and components, electrical power generation and distribution; etc.
- Perform condition and performance assessments of mechanical, process, civil/structural, I&C and electrical equipment such as piping, heat exchangers, pumps and other power plant equipment; structural steel, supports; control instrumentation assessment/design/specification of equipment and components, electrical power generation and distribution; etc.
- Perform engineering change design and analysis following established change control procedures.
- Perform technical management and technical integration of multi-disciplined design projects, and act as Design Team Lead (DTL) where appropriate.
- Interface with construction/procurement partners, utility stakeholders, and equipment vendors throughout the lifecycle of the design project (i.e., from preliminary and conceptual engineering to detailed design, implementation and close-out) to provide practical and effective solutions as per requirements.
- Provide field support to multi-disciplined plant design modifications, including provision of field engineering.
- Understand and assess client problems and determine appropriate means of solution.
- Provide technical oversight to vendor deliverables including review and acceptance of the deliverables
- Conduct technical assessments and emergent troubleshooting/engineering to support refurbishment projects and operating unit (capital) projects.
- Interface effectively with other staff on multi-disciplinary projects.
- Stay current with developments within your field of expertise.
Skills / Qualifications
The following skills/knowledge are required:
- Proven track record in civil and structural design, including application to nuclear plants
- In depth knowledge and experience of use of appropriate codes and standards, as applied to nuclear plant and conventional structures.
- Experience in project management and interfacing with and coordinating activities of multi-disciplinary teams.
- Knowledge of the life cycle management of civil structures. In particular, familiarity with common degradation mechanisms and ways of identifying, tracking and ameliorating.
- Be familiar with rigorous engineering change control processes and application of QA programs
- Registered as a professional engineer in Ontario or be eligible
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and have demonstrated a high commitment to quality.
- OPG security cleared
Please note that this is a Contract position.
Amec Foster Wheeler offers very competitive compensation and benefits packages.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility of Ontarians with Disability Act, 2005, we are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility in all parts of the hiring process. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when raised with the recruiter or by e-mailing accessibilities.ON@amecfw.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.