Skills: Laboratory Ops / Tech
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
37868BR Student Laboratory Technologist - Scotford, AB Canada Fort Saskatchewan, AB Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In Canada, we have operated for over a century and are a major producer and marketer of oil, gas and petrochemicals, Canada’s largest producer of sulphur and a significant oil sands developer. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future." Our Scotford Upgrader Product Quality team is currently seeking a Chemical Laboratory Technology Student for a 12 month term to be part of the Technical Assurance Technology Department, which is accountable for the end-to-end quality management of Oil Sands derived synthetic crude production.
The successful candidate will have a key role within the front line PQ team. This team analyzes routine samples of intermediate streams and certifies finished products as well as supports plant upset mitigation, test runs and projects. The individual will work collaboratively with their PQ team to support Upgrader business goals. Stakeholders / customers include groups such as Production / Operations, Process Engineering, Tech Central Support, Process Control & Automation and Economics & Scheduling.
Following thorough training, the Student Laboratory Technologist will provide quality assurance through delivering accurate analytical results to stakeholders in a safe, timely and reliable manner. Results are delivered both individually and collaboratively with their PQ team. Work includes but is not limited to managing day to day sample load, License to Operate samples, complying with Quality Management systems, executing special requests (for emergencies, test runs and projects), and potentially working off hours for special business needs.
Position Description – Accountabilities:
- Work safely in the laboratory and participate in STEP, safety audit, monthly safety meeting and other safety related matters.
- Comply with Shell and Scotford Complex Laboratory Safety Management system.
- Accountable for the day to day operations of laboratory equipment.
- Responsible for handling and performing analyses in accordance to Shell Scotford Complex Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Responsible to report results accurately and reliably.
- Provides off-hour support for Upgrader testing as required.
- Under supervision direction, provide support on assigned plant investigations, test runs and projects as needed.
Position Description - Special Considerations:
- Rotating shift schedule has morning (6:30 am – 3 pm) and late afternoon (2:30 pm – 11 pm) shifts.
- Work schedule may change to support Production Units business needs.
- Must be capable of prioritizing own work with supervision support to help meet department and team objectives.
- Ability to work independently and in a flexible, highly diverse team environment.
- Organized and able to work within tight deadlines.
PLEASE NOTE: You MUST be currently enrolled in the Chemical Lab Tech program at SAIT in order to be eligible for this opportunity. All applicants will be verified by the school for eligibility.
- Must be currently enrolled in the SAIT Chemical Laboratory Technology Co-Op program
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada for anyone other than current employer
- Direct Oil Sands / oil and gas laboratory experience would be considered an asset but not necessary. Training will be provided.
- Must have a Safety First mindset (supporting the journey to ‘No Harm’ and ‘No Leaks’)
- Ability to take initiative to operate safely and efficiently
- Have an understanding of the importance of the bottom line
- A learning mindset open to a variety of perspectives
- Willing to work a rotating shift schedule
- Willing to work overtime if/when required
- Able to climb ladders and stairs, work at heights and in confined spaces
- Must be willing to work outdoors in inclement weather
- Must reside within the area or willing to relocate on your own – no relocation offered
- Using safe lifting techniques, able to lift and carry 20 kg from ground to waist level
- Ability to work safely wearing a respirator or Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Willing to comply with Shell's drug-free and harassment-free work environment and comply with all safety policies and procedures
- Willing to work in a diverse and team-oriented environment
Shell strives to eliminate or minimize health and safety risks associated with its business activities and is committed to providing a safe workplace for all workers. A condition of employment for this position is successful completion of a pre-placement medical assessment which may include a fitness for duty check, background check, driving record check and pre-site access testing for alcohol and specified drugs.
PLEASE NOTE: Our Application system is not compatible with your hand held mobile device (iPhone or Android). You will have to use a computer in order to complete your application.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video