Skills: Production Engineering
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Jumping Pound Plant-Cochrane, Canada
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
38083BR Chief Power Engineer Canada Jumping Pound Plant - Cochrane, Alberta
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In Canada, we have operated for over a century and are a major producer and marketer of oil, gas and petrochemicals, Canada’s largest producer of sulphur and a significant oil sands developer. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future.
The role of the Chief Power Engineer is to provide a focus to all operational issues. Support the Operations crews when Asset production or integrity is impacted by acting as a resource for operating and troubleshooting. Provide leadership and expert advice to the Operations organizations for operations activities.
The role is as follows:
Act as subject matter expert for Sulphur Plant and Utilities Operations in technical and operational processes and maintain working knowledge of the entire Asset.
- Accountable for Chief Steam Engineer requirements (ABSA) and activities for the Asset.
- Provide leadership regarding the HSE Management System as well as all policies, standards, procedures and guidelines.
- Support Operations to ensure that Environmental & Regulatory processes, policies and procedures are followed.
- Act as a liaison to management and other stakeholders (e.g. community, marketing, joint ventures group, etc.)
- Coach, mentor and lead the team members in order to achieve or exceed the Asset's business targets.
- Proficient in and knowledgeable of applicable policies and procedures in order to provide proper guidance for Operations and Maintenance.
- Support the achievement of production and cost related business results as compared with the Asset Business Plan.
- Collaborate with all disciplines/functions to deliver effective, efficient and safe operations of the asset.
- Act as “On call” person for Operational issues and ERP in “Management On Call” rotation.
HEALTH, SAFETY, SECURITY, ENVIRONMENT (HSSE)
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of all safety systems, process and information, and ensure these processes and information are communicated to Operations.
- Demonstrate Strong Leadership Behaviors:
- Provide visible leadership and support in all areas of our safety programs, Lead by example.
- Support compliance and delivery of HSSE standards through encouraging employee participation in HSSE programs.
- Comply with the control framework (HSSE&SP).
- Support license to operate requirements, and provide information for investigations and regulatory non-compliance.
- Provide input to IMPACT reports as required and participate in investigations as requested.
- Support ALARP security program.
- Support ERP readiness in the event of an emergency.
- No Direct Reports.
- Coach and mentor Operations staff for daily work activity and production impacts.
DEVELOPMENT & NON-TECHNICAL RISK (Social Performance)
- Awareness of commitments to the community, regulatory, Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) and indigenous community.
- Support the Jumping Pound Leadership Team with the delivery of Asset business plan and targets.
- Support budget accountability for chemical inventory and operator activities.
- LEAN: Support opportunities to reduce waste and continuously improve (e.g. fuel gas, chemical, electricity usage).
PRODUCTION OPERATIONS (Ops & Maintenance)
- Lead troubleshooting of operational issues and process upsets, and make recommendations for corrective actions.
- Develop operating practices and procedures (both routine and exceptions), and provide input to OCA documentation. Review and validate revisions to OCA content.
- Lead project planning and execution for some operational activities.
- Provide input into chemical inventory management.
- Provide input for vendor selection and feedback for operations and maintenance activities.
- Participate in monthly and daily department safety/information meetings.
- Participate in daily/weekly work prioritization and scheduling meetings.
- Support the integrated maintenance schedule; support schedule compliance by only allowing valid schedule breakers to be introduced after the schedule is frozen.
- Collaborate with Maintenance Supervisor when changing the work order priority.
- Update Equipment status Board for operations as required
- Manage daily orders and day to day concerns along with Operations Supervisor and when Operation’s Supervisor is not available (on vacation, at training, etc.)
- Maintain strong communications between the production, maintenance and Inspection teams so that they remain informed of any changes that affect the work activity.
- Support the Living Programs (e.g. Operating Integrity, Maintenance Integrity Execution, MOC, PtW).
- Provide input into Integrated Activity Plan.
- Support Operations Reliability Improvement Process (ORIP) to ensure timely and appropriate corrective action has been taken to ensure repeat failures are eliminated.
Currently hold or demonstrate to be actively working towards a First Class Engineers Certificate of Competency
- Knowledge of and leadership in personal and process safety.
- Skill in communication, negotiation and time management.
- Skill in coaching, leading by example, facilitation, and decision making.
- Awareness of the site budget and the asset accountability processes, including ability to create interventions as required.
- Knowledge of appropriate regulations and operating approval requirements within License to operate.
- Awareness of the asset Community commitments and the requirements to ensure compliance..
- Knowledge of key work processes such as Operating Integrity, Permit to Work, SAP, and Management of Change.
- Knowledge of Emergency Response Procedures and the Incident Command System with the ability to assume a Lead or support role within the structure.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video