Skills: Production Operator
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Fort McMurray, Canada
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
38216BR Power Engineer Co-Op - Fort McMurray, AB Canada Fort McMurray, AB Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In Canada, we have operated for over a century and are a major producer and marketer of oil, gas and petrochemicals, Canada’s largest producer of sulphur and a significant oil sands developer. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Shell Albian is currently seeking a Student Operator from the Keyano College Power Engineering program for a 6 month work placement in our Utilities Department from January – July 2017.
The Student Operator will gain steam time toward his/her Power Engineering certification and may have the opportunity to experience more than one process unit on the site. You will work under the direction and supervision of a qualified shift operator of the unit.
Production Operator summer student responsibilities:
- Monitoring & troubleshooting process operations, with a focus on safety, environment, and profitability
- Actively participate in accident/incident reporting
- Actively participate in Emergency Response Program
- Troubleshoot mechanical malfunctions and process disruptions
- Work closely with Maintenance and contractors ensuring Safe Work Permits and equipment isolation(s) are conforming to Shell business processes
- Assist with minor maintenance on shift, if required
- Work at heights and in confined spaces
- Technical competence, understanding of process units and work processes in an operating environment
- Correct and/or report potential failures or equipment malfunctions
- Participate in job planning functions such as practice/procedure development or validation
- Safety focus (Safe Work Practices, Hazard Task Analysis) core safety skills training will be provided
This position is not eligible for FIFO (fly-in, fly-out), flights, or any camp arrangements, however BIBO (bus-in, bus-out) will be offered. Area (MRM or JPM) and team will be determined closer to start date
PLEASE NOTE: You MUST be currently enrolled in a Power Engineering program at KEYANO COLLEGE in order to be eligible for this opportunity. All applicants will be verified by the school for eligibility.
- Must be currently enrolled in a Power Engineering Technology Program at KEYANO COLLEGE
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada for anyone other than current employer
- Must possess a valid driver's license (Class 5 GDL or full Class 5 required)
- Willing to work nights, weekends, holidays
- Willing to work a rotating shift schedule
- Able to climb ladders and stairs, work at heights and in confined spaces
- Must be willing to work outdoors in inclement weather
- Must reside within the area – no relocation, FIFO, flights, or camp arrangements offered
- Using safe lifting techniques, able to lift and carry 20 kg from ground to waist level
- Ability to work safely wearing a respirator or Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Willing to comply with Shell's drug-free and harassment-free work environment and comply with all safety policies and procedures
- Willing to work in a diverse and team-oriented environment
Shell strives to eliminate or minimize health and safety risks associated with its business activities and is committed to providing a safe workplace for all workers. A condition of employment for this position is successful completion of a pre-placement medical assessment which may include a fitness for duty check, background check, driving record check and pre-site access testing for alcohol and specified drugs.
PLEASE NOTE: Our Application system is not compatible with your hand held mobile device (iPhone or Android). You will have to use a computer in order to complete your application.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video