Skills: Asset Management
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Las Condes, Chile
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Senior Geomechanics Engineer
As part of Amec Foster Wheeler's global mining organisational strategy to constantly appoint and develop talent within the business, we are currently seeking to appoint a Senior Geomechanics Engineer to join Amec Foster Wheeler’s Santiago office.
Amec Foster Wheeler is a focused supplier of consultancy, engineering and project management services to its customers in the world's oil and gas, mining, clean energy, environment and infrastructure markets. With annual revenues of some £4 billion, Amec Foster Wheeler designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets and employs over 27,000 people in around 40 countries worldwide. With us, you’ll be challenged. You’ll be encouraged to excel. You’ll build long-lasting relationships. And you’ll be welcomed back. You will become a part of a strong, global company operating in oil and gas, mining, clean energy, and environment and infrastructure markets. Imagine working on a vast range of challenging global projects. Imagine working for world-leading clients, delivering excellence and being remembered for it when you return to us.
That’s the world of Amec Foster Wheeler, built on strong values, where you can be proud of what you achieve.
Execute geomechanics and rock engineering activities within budget and schedule, whilst maintaining technical integrity. To deliver best practice geomechanics services in designated studies, projects and consulting services, in alignment with Amec Foster Wheeler 's global mining organisational objectives and client requirements. To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the Amec Foster Wheeler Health, Safety, Security and Environmental policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, the community and the environment.
This role reports to Santiago’s Mining and Metals (M&M) Consulting Group Manager, with technical support and leadership provided by Amec Foster Wheeler’s Technical Director Geomecanics, South America.
Role Scope and Key Accountabilities:
To undertake geomechanics activities for the Mining and Metals (M&M) Santiago Office, including:
- Plan, manage and execute underground and open pit rock mechanics studies
- Preparation of technical proposals for consulting services
- Planning, coordination and management of geotechnical and geomechanics site investigations
- Ensure projects are executed with the highest technical standards, ensuring that they are on time and on budget
- Preparation of relevant sections for NI 43-101 & JORC compliant technical reports
- Training and mentoring of junior rock mechanics and geomechanics specialists
- Business development activities and maintaining client relations
- Bachelor’s degree in Mine Engineering, Geological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, or related engineering or geoscience discipline and five (5) years engineering experience in hard rock mining relating to underground rock mechanics and rock slope stability, OR
- Master’s degree in Mine Engineering, Geological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, or related engineering or geosciences discipline and three (3) years engineering experience in hard rock mining relating to underground rock mechanics and rock slope stability
Skills / Qualifications
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of mining, mining engineering, and geotechnical applications in hard rock underground mine environment
- Knowledge and experience in geotechnical data collection, geotechnical model development, rock mechanics design principles
- Ability to undertake rock slope stability analysis and design utilizing kinematic, limit equilibrium and numerical methods
- Ability to undertake geotechnical design of open stoping, SLS, SLC and block/panel cave mining, including use of empirical methods, analytical methods and numerical methods.
- Ability to undertake pillar stability analysis, rock reinforcement and ground support design, design and planning of instrumentation and monitoring programs
- Understanding in the usage of appropriate software (MS Office, Auto CAD) and Geotechnical data analysis (Rocscience suite, MAP3D, FLAC, UDEC, FLAC3D GTS NX), Mining software Vulcan, Surpac, Datamine, Gemcom, Minesight (or equivalent)
- Ability and willingness to travel in Chile and internationally
- Skill in effective communication; Fluent Spanish (verbal and written) and basic English (verbal) skills
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.