Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler’s Mining business performs consulting and EPCM services for many of the world’s leading mining companies and is executing world-class projects on five continents. The Vancouver's office services multiple industries including Mining & Metals, Power & Process and Infrastructure. Broaden your opportunities by joining our team.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Industrial Fire Protection Engineer Reporting to the Manager, Mechanical Department, this position is located in our Vancouver, BC office. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Providing engineering and technical support for the layout, design, specification and evaluation of fire protection systems for industrial plants and related infrastructure
- Preparing fire pump/tank and piping sizing, hydraulic calculations and other industrial fire protection equipment specifications
- Preparing project documents, and reviewing those prepared by others for scope, presentation and technical accuracy
- Demonstrating effective organizational skills and handling multiple tasks independently
- Preparing man-hour and capital cost estimates, schedules and working within the budgeted constraints
- Establishing good working relationships and communication with project management, discipline leads, department managers, clients and other team members to coordinate and ensure the compatibility of design
- Supervising and mentoring junior staff, including assigning work and evaluating technical competence
Skills / Qualifications
- Mechanical Engineering Degree from a recognized university with P. Eng. status in B.C. or eligibility for registration. Registration in the USA is an asset
- Minimum 5+ years of related fire protection engineering experience in mining, heavy industrial, or commercial projects
- Experience in the design of automatic sprinkler systems, including the use of hydraulic design software
- Experience in the design or specification of special hazard extinguishing systems
- Experience in the design or specifications of fire alarm systems
- Familiar with Factory Mutual, NFPA, and Canadian Building and Fire codes
- Experience in underground mining, fuel systems or HVAC/plumbing are an asset
- ACAD, 3D Modeling or PDMS experience is an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.