Skills: Marine Surveying, Mechanical Engineering, QA / QC / Inspection
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Chesapeake, VA, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Located in region: North America
DoD Secret Security Clearance, or the ability to obtain one, required.
Position is that of a Test Director responsible for installation, integration and maintenance work control and testing. The TD provides support to the Submarine, Surface Ship and/or Deep Submergence System Projects as assigned to specific projects for the scheduling, preparation, performance of testing and work control. A practical knowledge of ships systems is required. Duties include performance of engineering tasks, including development of system level test and operational procedures. Review test procedures, coordinate support services to perform tests. Analyzes testing failures to determine cause and recommends corrective action. Designs, develops, and implements testing methods and equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The TD directs test operations, and ensures testing operations are performed in accordance with approved procedures.
- The TD reviews test procedures, TGIs (Task Group Instructions) & OQE (Objective Quality Evidence) to ensure testing accomplished will meet all the requirements.
- The TD shall ensure all testing or required operations that will be performed during the assigned shift are listed on the LAT/TPOD and/or SPOD. If testing or operations are not listed on the LAT/TPOD, the TD shall not proceed before obtaining an approved change to the LAT/TPOD and/or SPOD.
- The TD shall ensure all prerequisites are satisfied and shall brief the personnel supporting the test on the requirements for performance of the test. TD shall also brief the Shipyard and Ship’s Watch/Duty Officer of test status. The TD shall hold all members of the test team accountable to the TWD and follow all instructions concerning the test documents. Prerequisites include but are not limited to:
a. Conduct a thorough test boundary installation check.
b. Perform test set-up and assembly of test equipment as directed by TWDs. Develop system alignments verify they are performed and complete.
c. Conduct a review of approved procedures prior to performance. Resolve any test document questions/concerns prior to proceeding to test.
d. The TD is responsible for preventing or stopping work or testing which could prevent safe performance of operations listed on the LAT/TPOD or SPOD.
e. The TD shall ensure the personnel supporting the test are briefed on the requirements for performance of the test.
f. Upon completion of the test, the TD shall review the document for completion and evaluate shipyard shipboard test results and problems and take appropriate corrective actions.
g. The TD restores the system to a safe condition, as specified in the test document, and notifies the ship’s Duty Officer that testing is complete
- Review Work Packages to determine the appropriate testing to be accomplished. Develop Supplemental Test Instructions to support required testing. Develop and maintain a Test and Inspection Plan.
- Provide technical support to the project interfacing with engineering, planning, and production personnel to define testing plan.
- Developing, writing and processing proposed tag outs WAFs (Work Authorization Forms) and the resulting TORS (Tag Out Records Sheets) when required.
- Daily interface with SF and project personnel, and interface functions with other test organizations as identified by the Test Engineer Manager are an integral part of this task.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a mechanical or electrical discipline from an accredited college or university or AS in a mechanical or electrical discipline from an accredited college or university with additional working knowledge of Submarine structural, mechanical and/or electrical system repair/installations as listed below:
- A minimum of five (5) years experience in Submarine structural, mechanical and/or electrical system repair/installations.
- In lieu of a degree, a graduate of a Shipyard Apprenticeship Program with a minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience in Submarine/Shipboard structural, mechanical and/or electrical system repair/installations and; four (4) years of experience performing Submarine structural, mechanical and/or electrical system repair/installations.
- Minimum of six (6) years technical knowledge and operational experience with Naval Submarine and/or Surface HM&E; systems. Working knowledge of SUBSAFE & Level 1, drawing and NAVSEA approved testing and certification/re-certification requirements.
- High comprehension of current testing requirements for certification/recertification of U.S. Navy submarines, surface ships, and special purpose vehicles/systems in order to serve as the subject matter expert.
- Have HM&E; systems experience such Trim & Drain, High Pressure Air, Hydraulics, Power Generation/Dist, Switchboards/Panels, Circuit Breakers, Battery Systems, Shore power, Interior Communications, Announcing Circuits, Alarm/Indication/Monitoring Systems, Temporary Alarms/Communications, Ballast Control Systems, Steering and Diving Control Systems, etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Submarine Test Director
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Job ID: 11198
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Oceaneering develops products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. The company is the world's largest manufacturer and operator of work class Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) and is also a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, workover control systems, asset integrity services, umbilicals, subsea hardware and tooling. Oceaneering also serves the aerospace, defense and theme park industries.