Skills: Process Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, TX, US
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Principal Data Scientist role in Marathon will be responsible for modeling complex engineering and operational problems, discovering insights and identifying opportunities through the use of statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques. In addition to advanced analytic skills, this role will also be proficient at integrating and preparing large, varied datasets including time series data, designing specialized database and computing environments, and communicating results.
The role will work closely with engineers, geo-scientists, project/program managers, and IT teams to turn oil & gas data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound business decisions. Other responsibilities include providing data that is clean and reliable.
The role will require a creative thinker who will propose innovative ways to look at problems by using data mining approaches on the set of information available, and validate findings using an experimental and iterative approach.
The successful candidate will need to be able to present back their findings to the business by focusing on the specific business value while exposing their assumptions and validation work in a way that can be easily understood by the business stakeholders.
This role requires a combination of business focus, strong analytical and problem solving skills and programming knowledge to be able to quickly cycle hypothesis through the discovery phase of the project. Excellent written and communications skills to report back the findings in a clear, structured manner are required.
- Focusing on business value of providing solutions - adapt statistical methods to solve specific engineering problems
- Mentor engineering and geoscience staff in data extraction transform & load, visualization,- statistical analysis, predictive modelling and data science techniques
- Follow established project methodology and strong quality assurance for delivery to scope and requirements
- Report results of analyses, including information in the form of graphs, charts, and tables to all levels in Marathon
- Evaluate the statistical methods and procedures used to obtain data in order to ensure validity, applicability, efficiency, and accuracy.
- Minimum BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science,-Statistics or related field with 5 years of related experience
- Solid knowledge of statistical techniques: High proficiency in the use of statistical packages
- Strong Practical Programming skills (practical SQL; MS Excel; -Java, R, Python etc
- The ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially varied & large datasets.
- Display high degree of initiative, self-starter ability and results orientation
- Experience using machine learning algorithms
- Proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively
- Excellent interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork and communications
- Proven leadership skills, demonstrated in both academic and business environments
- Experience with SAS analytics suite
- SAS/Jump; Spotfire, Tableau
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Oil and Gas Industry experience
- Open attitude towards and ability to learn and utilize new technologies and standards
- Project Management
Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent international exploration and production company. Based in Houston, Texas, the Company has activity in North America, Europe and Africa. The Company has three reportable operating segments, each of which is organized and managed based primarily upon geographic location and the nature of the products and services it offers.
Marathon Oil Company will take the necessary action to ensure that applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status under applicable employment law.
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
MARATHON OIL – WHY WORK FOR US?
Deciding where to pursue a career often comes down to intangibles.
Do the employees look forward to coming to work each day -- are they given rewarding opportunities, do they work well together? Are employees empowered to bring their skills and knowledge forward -- is the corporate culture nurturing, are life experiences and diversity valued? What is the attitude toward the broader community -- health, safety and the environment?
Marathon can answer those intangible questions affirmatively in our employee's own words, proving that Marathon is a world class energy company with much more to offer at the end of the day than just high performance stats and market prowess -- though we enjoy those too. If you are starting out in a career, consider the places your experience at Marathon could take you -- without having to leave Marathon. Career growth and job satisfaction is why Marathon places such an emphasis on mentoring -- talented people can build a career here.
If you are an experienced professional who wants to continue your growth to reach full potential, this could be the place for you. The benefits are not intangible, but competitive and attractive -- a dollars and sense reason to contact Marathon.
Marathon Oil Awards & Accolades
- Top 500 Green Companies, Newsweek, 2009
- Barron's 500, Barron's, 2009
- World’s Most Admired Companies, Fortune, 2008
- Top 200 of the Global 2000, Forbes, 2008
- The Houston Chronicle 100, The Houston Chronicle, 2008