Skills: Geoscience Technician
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Dorval, QC, Canada
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler Environment & Infrastructure is recruiting for a Director of Geotechnical Services to join our Montreal office. We are seeking a candidate who will be capable of overseeing a group consisting of: geotechnical and geological engineers, field technicians and technologists, delivering services relating to studies and investigations, preliminary and detailed designs, and construction plans, specifications and drawing preparation. Geotechnical services are primarily focused on the mining, transportation & infrastructure, and industrial/commercial markets.
You will be responsible for the operational management, and long-term development of the geotechnical team, clients and related business development, oversight on technical quality, technical risk mitigation, and delivery on projects including design, review and project management. These responsibilities will be delivered within a framework that manages risks, prioritizes safety and ensures customer satisfaction.
You will be expected to work with specialists from other Amec Foster Wheeler offices in assessing the necessity for and implementing standard operating procedures to working to ensure alignment in the technical disciplines under your direction, and in the approach to technical work across Amec Foster Wheeler. You will also become familiar with the principals in the organisation to ensure that appropriate levels of review are conducted where required.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong operational and technical background and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The successful candidate will have the ability to thrive in a dynamic, challenging environment, and provide sound leadership and mentoring to a team of technical and project management personnel. He/she will be a key player in our Quebec organization, participating as a member of the Executive Committee, contributing to the strategic growth and development of skills, services and acquisition of new project work through competitive bidding and client relationship development.
- Provide leadership, management and mentoring of technical staff
- Lead and manage multi-disciplinary project teams, working with other professionals, to deliver high quality projects on time and within budget to satisfy client expectations
- Undertake business development with new and existing clients and establish and maintain client relationships
- Coordinate delivery of engineering services and project management according to client-approved scopes of work
- Participate in marketing efforts and client presentations, prepare technical proposals and reports which may include: design, analyses, subsurface investigations, earthworks and earth structure design, slope stability and seepage analyses, foundation designs, dewatering plans, construction documents and management of construction monitoring services
- Provide senior review design, working with a multi-disciplinary team including hydrogeologists, hydrologists, geochemists, geo-mechanics engineers, environmental engineers, and associated other disciplines
- Manage contractors and sub-consultants on your projects ensuring their adherence to Amec Foster Wheeler values, safety imperatives and contractual requirements
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Geotechnical or Civil Engineering (or equivalent); Advanced degree is highly desirable
- A minimum of 15 years’ of professional engineering experience, with at least 10 years in a consulting leadership role with responsibility for a group of technical personnel
- Demonstrated ability to manage operations and develop a team internally
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain client relationships
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, management and leadership qualities
- Highly developed project management experience including proven proficiency in project budgeting, cost forecasting, schedule, cost and resource management; and risk mitigation
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both French and English
- Registration as a professional engineer (P.Eng), registered with OIQ
Technical experience and qualifications considered an asset
- Experience in the mining industry, managing and delivering geotechnical engineering services related to tailings and mine waste management
- Experience in the transportation & infrastructure industry, managing geotechnical engineering services related to road, highway and bridge foundations and retaining wall designs
- Demonstrated business management capabilities
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.