Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, TX, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
34810BR MOTIVA - Trading Credit Manager - Houston, TX United States Houston, TX Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
This position leads a team of Trading Credit Analysts mainly focusing on Motiva’s Supply, Trading and Logistics and Base Oil customers.
The incumbent manages credit risk analysis, establishes credit limits, negotiates, monitors and controls security, approves over-credit-limit orders, co-ordinates credit activities with the business units, and identifies and drives team actions to meet both Credit and business unit goals.
This team lead role will also directly handle credit activities for some of the more complex and/or higher exposure accounts in the business.
- Providing leadership to the credit analysis and approval processes for supply, trading and logistics and base oil business units to appropriately balance and optimize portfolio risk and reward.
- Provides direction to and oversight of activities performed by offshore support staff.
- Manages the migration of supply, trading and logistics and base oil customer accounts from SOPUS to Motiva Credit.
- Builds the team and establishes strategy, work processes and goals for Motiva’s Trading Credit function.
- Responsible for managing an individual portfolio of complex, high risk accounts as well as providing oversight for the overall STL and Base Oil credit portfolio.
- Accountable for team performance and compliance with Motiva’s Credit policy.
- Tracks performance over a number of KPIs and reports regularly to Motiva’s Credit Manager and the STL and Base Oil businesses.
- Prepares and leads monthly credit review meetings with STL business.
- Sound decision making processes with independent credit limit authority Ability to make difficult, well thought through decisions as well as develop creative Trading risk management solutions.
- Senior business leader / stakeholder engagements and represent Credit in Operational Credit Committee meetings for each business unit. Assist with development of departmental goals and action plans for staff to assure business objectives and global credit policies are consistently met.
- Provide regular staff coaching and development with timely completion of performance goal setting and assessments, as well as individual development plans for direct reports.
- Regular customer engagements, including meetings with owners/officers/senior executives as necessary to understand business strategies, financial structuring and performance, as well as to represent the STL and Base Oil business in negotiating high risk/exposure customer credit facilities and negotiating security to support high-risk credit needs.
- Regularly meet with business units to review portfolio risk and share credit management strategies for handling of high-risk exposures. Prepare analytical recommendations to support and challenge the business in their market growth/consolidation efforts to ensure overall portfolio risk remains balanced.
- Supports the Credit Manager as necessary and required
- Customer facing role with independent trading decision making responsibilities. Provide leadership to a team of onshore and offshore credit analysts and works with debt collection and know your counterparty onshore and offshore teams. This role provides the opportunity to coach and develop staff, enhance analytical, trading finance, negotiation and influencing skills with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage team of direct onshore reports.
- Motiva is undergoing an exciting transformation journey leading to a dynamic and shifting environment, which will require enthusiasm, flexibility, innovation and adaptability.
- Manage a large customer portfolio that includes a significant level of high risk customers, many of which are particularly vulnerable to economic contractions and interest rate spikes. This position will need to develop a solid understanding of the business, key drivers and business processes, and carefully analyze risk and manage exposures to ensure each business unit fully understands the risk represented by their portfolio. Furthermore, this position will assist with design of credit related business strategies to deal with these issues and will need to be able to interface effectively with internal and external senior business leaders to influence and drive decisions.
- Motiva’s Credit function is work in progress, requiring an entrepreneurial style.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the U.S on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related business degree.
- Minimum ten (10) years related work experience with hands on credit management and/or Trading finance experience in a Downstream business.
- Experience with security instruments as used in trading business applications.
- Strong Trading acumen.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (verbal and written), and stakeholder management skills. Must be able to work effectively with both internal and external customers.
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with ability to make tough decisions. Ability to work decisions to a satisfactory conclusion by implementing action steps to resolve credit issues while maintaining customer relationships.
- Proven financial analysis skills with related demonstrable work experience.
- Strong teamwork, relationship, and leaderships skills with ability to motivate team efforts and lead and influence outside organizational boundaries.
- Capable and comfortable with decision making and being accountable for decisions taken.
- Downstream business experience (particularly in Fuels) highly desirable
- Self-starter with energy and drive.
- Strong MS Excel, PowerPoint skills required. Proficiency in relevant aspects of SAP and Motiva’s Credit System (Paragon) are expected to be acquired on the job.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video