Skills: Construction Engineer
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler Environment & Infrastructure is currently seeking a senior level Deputy Construction Manager to support the Tetra Tech-led Engineering Support Program (ESP) with USAID’s Afghanistan Mission. ESP will provide technical assistance to the Mission by way of independent engineering support, construction supervision, and quality assurance services for ongoing and planned construction, design / operations and maintenance projects for all areas of USAID-funded infrastructure. Initial projects under ESP include, electrical transmission and distribution facilities, substations, electrical generation facilities and other infrastructure. Experience in the power transmission and distribution, and substation engineering and construction areas is mandatory. Many projects will be performed in close coordination with Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS), the national electrical utility company.
This full-time position will be based in a Kabul, Afghanistan office / residential compound. The Amec Foster Wheeler Deputy Construction Manager will provide construction management, engineering and quality assurance / resident inspection support specific to power transmission and substation construction projects under the technical direction of the Tetra Tech Construction Management Lead. The successful candidate will report administratively to Amec Foster Wheeler’s Home Office Project Manager.
Contract length: Up to five (5) years. The ESP has an initial contract term of three (3) years with two (2) option years.
- Serving as Amec Foster Wheeler’s senior staff member and local liaison with Tetra Tech ESP leadership in-country
- Providing construction management services as directed by Tetra Tech’s Construction Management Lead and / or Chief of Party
- Managing Amec Foster Wheeler’s local national quality assurance / resident technical representative staff assigned to field project locations
- Reporting to Amec Foster Wheeler Home Office Project Manager on project progress, needs and issues
- Supporting Amec Foster Wheeler Home Office staff in developing monthly project invoices and reports
- Managing Amec Foster Wheeler’s client relationship with Tetra Tech’s in-country leadership
Skills / Qualifications
- A minimum of 20 years of professional construction management / project controls / professional engineering experience. Engineering and construction experience in electricity experience in electricity transmission / distribution, and substation facilities is mandatory
- Experience working and living in developing and / or post-conflict countries. Specific experience in Afghanistan is preferred
- Experience in managing a diverse staff - primarily of local national engineers, inspectors and technicians - assigned to field / construction site locations
- Experience in developing / managing / reviewing project construction schedules
- Ability to evaluate / analyze progress reports, inspection reports and other construction documentation and identify corrective action requirements as appropriate
- Ability to work in a team environment with multiple reporting priorities
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.