We are currently seeking a Senior Electrical Design Engineer to contribute to the development of our distribution transformer systems as part of our Power Grids division. This role will be based out of our Jefferson City, MO facility.
Electrical Engineering encompasses the planning, design, development, testing, installation, and coordination of related activities involving electrical/electronic components and systems. Under limited direction, this person will perform a variety of complex engineering assignments, requiring in-depth knowledge of a specific electrical engineering discipline plus an understanding of related disciplines, to cost-effectively achieve objectives. Assignments typically require the use of advanced and innovative techniques. This person will also be asked to proactively seek / implement initiatives to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction.
Typical duties/responsibilities for engineering may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Design, analyze, and evaluate systems, products, or components - this requires a high degree of technical expertise.
• Design / develop complex models or simulations; and apply advanced computer programs, analytical techniques, or control strategies to effectively meet requirements while resolving problems.
• Act as Principal Investigator and/or lead a group of engineers investigating problems in order to develop solutions and prepare related recommendations & reports.
• Conduct economic studies; prepare or lead the preparation of specifications, proposals for contracts, licensing & safety documents; and obtain required approvals.
• Represent the group in meetings & conferences; interact with customers to resolve significant technical issues, and develop related action plans.
• Additional duties may be assigned, as required.
COMPLEXITY OF TASKS:
• Requires thorough knowledge of a specific engineering discipline, plus an understanding of related disciplines to coordinate activities, analyze & resolve problems crossing disciplines, and to develop new concepts for programs.
• Technical input, recommendations, and decisions may impact the organization's effectiveness & customer relations.
• Requires the ability to interface effectively with internal colleagues and with external customers.
• Bachelor's degree in an Engineering-oriented discipline with 5+ years of professional experience working in engineering; OR
• Master's degree in an Engineering-oriented discipline with 3+ years of professional experience working in engineering.
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (e.g. BSEE), especially with an emphasis on Power.
• Extensive experience working with transformer systems or related technologies (e.g. electromagnetics / magnetics, induction systems, etc.).
• Recent experience with the design of power products (e.g. transformers, circuit breakers, switchgear, inverters, power electronics, etc. - development of Pad-Mount Distribution Transformers is a plus).
• Previous experience working with the installation, testing, troubleshooting, and Operations & Maintenance (O&M) of transformers is a plus.
• Knowledge and professional experience with Transformer Protection, Transformer control cabinet design / systems layout, Transformer diagnostics, and/or Transformer Testing (especially in a factory environment).
• Experience with software programming (especially with FORTRAN, Visual Basic [VB], and/or VB.NET languages) and back-end database development (especially with SQL (Structured Query Language)).
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.