Skills: Construction Engineer
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Charlotte, NC, US
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler Environment & Infrastructure is seeking an Engineering Technician 2 to join our team in Charlotte, NC. Works under general supervision to provide moderately complex test analytical support to environmental, engineering, field, laboratory, and/or design projects Performs standardized assignments under supervision including drafting simple standard reports, operating standard testing equipment or software of moderate complexity and performs routine analysis procedures. Specific positions in the technician career path include field technician, laboratory technician and engineering technician.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- Conduct tests and investigations in the field or laboratory to obtain data for use by engineering personnel in determining engineering properties of soil, bedrock and construction materials
- Perform laboratory and field tests according to prescribed procedures, processes, and standards
- Collect soil samples, prepare samples for testing, record data, and prepare summary reports
- Operate computer systems and peripheral equipment
- Maintain results logs
- Confers with Engineer and Scientific staff on test efforts
- Set up, maintain, and calibrate equipment
Additional Tasks and Responsibilities
- May observe and document routine construction operations and write routine field reports
- May assist and observe contractor work on short and long term construction projects and interact with client, contractor or subcontractor representatives accordingly
- May perform a variety of non-technical tasks designed to assist others in preparing for and/or conducting office, laboratory or field activities
- May assist in other non-technical projects as appropriate
Skills / Qualifications
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Combination of technical education or certification plus 2 to 5 years of industry experience
- Understanding of applicable ASTM or ACI and Nuclear Density Gauge methods and technical methodologies
- Ability to use test equipment in an effective and safe manner
- Ability to understand procedural manuals and execute work orders
- Ability to prepare reports and documentation
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to follow instruction
Physical Job Requirements:
- Ability to stoop, kneel, climb and lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to drive large pick-up truck.
- Ability to use hands to operate field equipment
- Close, distance, and peripheral vision; normal auditory function
- Must complete employment physical demonstrating ability to meet job requirements, including the ability to wear a respirator, as required
- Completion of annual or bi-annual employment physical, as required
License / Certification Requirements:
- Qualifications to include experience and ACI and Nuclear Density Gauge certification
- Valid driver’s license and insurable driving record
- Must pass Health and Safety Training and Defensive Driving Courses upon hire
- Materials: ACI Level I; Nuclear Density Gauge
Machines, Tools and/or Equipment Used
May use a number of different pieces of equipment, e.g. slump and sand cones, screens density testing gauges, compaction testing equipment, concrete breakage test equipment, etc. Employee will be fully trained in the use of equipment necessary to accomplish their work.
Work may be performed in a laboratory setting or may be performed on a jobsite away from the office, under a variety of environmental and climatic conditions, and on occasion for extended periods of time.
Field assignments typically require travel to urban or remote jobsites for work to be performed.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws