Skills: Chemical Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
910900 - Regulatory Chemist - Chemical Department
Our client is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies. Employing over 100,000 personnel in around 90 countries their strategy is to reinforce their position as a leader in the Oil & Gas industry.
They are currently recruiting for the position of Regulatory Chemist - Chemical Department, based in Manchester, UK.
The Regulatory Chemistry Team main functions are to carry out HSE assessments of all additives used within Lubricant Products and collation of those data in bespoke reports for compliance and competitive advantage. The daily tasks support many areas of the Company including: Safety data sheet (R&D SDS) authoring, customer queries, Lubricants blending plants and Technology R&D.
Responsible for coordinating specific projects within own specialist area of regulatory chemistry activities, ensuring timely delivery of support according to high-level priorities set by Team Lead.
- Deliver detailed HSE information that is 'fit for purpose' maximising efficiencies with no compromise to quality whilst protecting Company IP.
- Work closely with Stakeholders (Tech Managers, Global Product Managers and Product Stewards) to advise on HSE issues arising from individual additive assessments through to legislative changes.
- Advise Global Authoring team regarding Hazardous Chemical Classification changes.
- Act as a first point of contact within team on REACH legislation, communicating with Product Stewardship Lubes REACH Manager or European REACH Manager as necessary.
- Co-ordinate specific projects within own specialist area including European product registrations, Substance Volume tracking, R&D SDS authoring and Customer declaration with regular feedback to Team Lead on progress and issues
- Timely and accurate regulatory data disclosures or assessment according to high level priorities set by Product Steward Manager and Team Lead.
- Develop new IT tools, including excel macros, to enable efficiencies within team.
- Manage delivery through others - working with other team members when projects require additional support or specific IT expertise.
- Produce reports using departmental advanced search and reporting tools (CIP) and evaluate the outcome.
- Manage own workload to address the priorities of all stakeholders in Technology and Product Management/Product Stewardship.
Skills and Experience
- Formal qualification (preferably to Degree level) in Chemistry or Chemical Science or equivalent experience.
- Experience of product development, quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) testing and/or work in the Lubricants business
- Attention to detail, patience and a desire to work at product development/business interface are essential.
- Must be delivery & customer focused
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong team working and interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn quickly, analyse problems/situations and suggest solutions
- Ability to grow knowledge in a broad range of products, components & formulations
- Self-motivated individual who is able to work with minimal supervision within a team environment
- Skilled in use of Global Product Catalogue (GPC) Viewing Tool and GLOSS system is required
- Detailed knowledge of the chemistry of petroleum substances or lubricants additives is highly desirable
- Knowledge of product/component HSE/Regulatory aspects including labelling products for transportation, chemical hazards and (Material) Safety Data Sheets authoring processes. (REACH IBV process and understanding of toxicological and/or ecotoxicological testing parameters) is required.
- Skilled use of GLOSS is required.
- Skilled use of GPC Viewing Tool & CIP Reports is required.
- Skill of reporting in Microsoft Excel or Access, along with good computer skills in word processing and presentations is highly desirable.
This is a contract position.
The rate for this position is negotiable.
If you feel that you are well suited to the above opportunity and would like to find out more then please contact Orion Group for more information or apply by forwarding your current CV quoting reference 910900.