Skills: Geoscience Technician
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Oakland, CA, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler Environment & Infrastructure is currently seeking an Entry Level Geotechnical Engineer to join our team in Oakland, CA. The ideal candidate has a genuine interest in the geotechnical and earthquake engineering discipline and has an above-average understanding of basic geotechnical concepts and applications.
Typical engineering analyses the candidate will be asked to perform are: static and seismic slope stability, 1D consolidation, seismic response of 1D and 2D soil profiles, liquefaction assessment, conventional load capacities for shallow and deep foundation systems, and lateral loads on retaining structures.
This position will require significant time in the field, away from the office. Field responsibilities may include subsurface investigations such as logging boreholes and observing CPTs and typical in-situ testing techniques, or observation of various geotechnical construction activities such as: general grading, installation of shallow and deep foundations, instrumentation installation and monitoring, soil-retaining structures, and soil-improvement.
The candidate should feel comfortable interacting with clients, construction personnel, and sub-contractors as a professional representative of Amec Foster Wheeler.
Skills / Qualifications
- B.S. in Civil Engineering with heavy emphasis on Geotechnical Engineering coursework (M.S. in Civil Engineering/Geotechnical Engineering preferred)
- 0 to 5 years of practical geotechnical engineering experience (internship experience considered)
- CA State Class C drivers license (or immediate ability to receive one)
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- E.I.T/F.E. preferred
- Strong written/oral communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Working knowledge of common geotechnical engineering software tools (e.g. SHAKE, Slope/W, FLAC/PLAXIS, L-Pile)
- Working knowledge of common geotechnical laboratory test procedures
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.