Skills: Environmental Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Portland, ME, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler Environment & Infrastructure has a career opportunity for a Mid-Level Hydrogeologist / Geologist with our Portland, ME office.
Are you a Hydrogeologist / Geologist with 3 to 5+ years of experience? Are you looking for an opportunity to work with a global engineering consulting firm that values its employees enthusiasm and technical contributions? We encourage you to apply for this opportunity. We are dedicated to providing the atmosphere to allow individuals to grow their career.
- The position is approximately 75% field work and 25% office work on industrial, commercial and federal sites
- Will work independently as well as under the general supervision of a senior staff
- Field activities includes logging of soil borings and rock cores, design and oversight of groundwater monitoring well installations, collection of surface soil, subsurface soil, groundwater, soil vapor, surface-water and sediment samples, as well as documenting field activities
- Responsible for collection and interpretation of hydrogeologic data under direction of Senior staff (water levels, slug tests, pumping tests)
- Responsible for developing interpretations of groundwater chemical data under direction of senior staff
- Oversee remediation contractors in the field, and collect data from soil and groundwater remediation systems
- Office activities includes analysis and interpretation of analytical results and assistance with the preparation of site assessment reports under the supervision of a Senior staff
- Prepare work plans and investigation reports, as well as develop tables, figures, and appendices associated with reports
- Conduct field mapping and maintain spreadsheets/databases of chemical results and other data for projects, prepare charts, conduct routine scientific calculations and run computer programs
- Follow company safety standards, participate in safety training, prepare and implement site safety plans
- Regional travel to project sites in New England and the state of New York will be required
Skills / Qualifications
- BS geology, hydrogeology, engineering geology or related field
- 3 to 5+ years with geological sciences and / or environmental field experience
- Skill set should include logging soil borings and rock cores, direct-push sampling, and conducting groundwater / surface water / sediment / soil vapor sampling
- 40-hour HAZWOPER OSHA Training
- Experience with GIS and database tools a plus geology, hydrogeology, engineering geology or related field
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Word and Excel
- Must be a self-starter with good written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and strong time management capabilities required
- Will be required to lift equipment and carry laboratory samples and field equipment (up to 50 pounds)
- Ability and willingness to travel to project sites in New England and New York
- Must pass drug test, physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Amec Foster Wheeler's driving (MVR) policy
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.