Skills: Structural Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Secure your future in Canada’s dynamic nuclear industry.
Be part of an exciting industry that provides challenge and opportunities for growth and development, in a location that offers an enviable alternative to “city” living.
We are a member of the Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) global family. Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the global energy and related sectors. With pro-forma 2014 annualised scope revenues of £5.5 billion and over 40,000 people in more than 55 countries, the company operates across the whole of the oil and gas industry – from production through to refining, processing and distribution of derivative products – and in the mining, clean energy, power generation, pharma, environment and infrastructure markets.
Amec Foster Wheeler (Nuclear Canada) is a rapidly growing engineering, nuclear safety and technical analysis company. We provide specialized services primarily to the power generation industry. Headquartered in downtown Toronto, we have over 500 staff, and we provide technical solutions to clients world-wide. Our work involves design engineering in all disciplines, and performing safety and engineering analyses using state-of-the-art engineering and analysis software, and interfacing with other engineering disciplines. Staff provide technical support to operating nuclear plants.
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting for a Design Team Lead - Structural with extensive experience in the Nuclear industry.
We are actively recruiting motivated and committed individuals to join our established team. We are looking for people with considerable experience in civil/structural engineering design for both full time permanent and contract positions. To fill this position you are required to have a sound foundation in civil/structural/seismic engineering design, and possess substantial experience in applications to operating nuclear or other industrial plants. This is a senior level design engineer position and applicants will have minimum 10 years working experience in the nuclear industry, and must be a licensed professional engineer in Ontario. Candidates would ideally have experience as a Technical Team Lead (TTL) executing complex and multi-disciplined projects.
To deliver civil/structural engineering expertise service to power generation utilities and other customers. The specific accountabilities of the position include the following:
- Provide civil/structural engineering design and analysis for nuclear and other industrial plants.
- Provide a high level of expertise in one or more specific areas, e.g., structural design of steel and concrete structures, seismic engineering analysis and design, piping supports.
- Perform condition and performance assessments of civil structures.
- Perform engineering change design and analysis following established change control procedures.
- Perform technical management and technical integration of multi-disciplined design projects, and act as Technical Team Lead (TTL) where appropriate.
- Interface with construction/procurement partners and utility stakeholders, throughout the lifecycle of the design project (i.e., from preliminary and conceptual engineering to detailed design, implementation and close-out) to provide practical and effective solutions as per requirements.
- Provide field support to multi-disciplined plant design modifications, including provision of field engineering.
- Understand and assess client problems and determine appropriate means of solution.
- Conduct technical assessments and emergent troubleshooting/engineering to support refurbishment projects and operating unit (capital) projects.
- Interface effectively with other staff on multi-disciplinary projects.
- Stay current with developments within your field of expertise.
Skills / Qualifications
The following skills/knowledge are required:
- Proven track record in design and analysis in power generation and similar industrial facilities.
- In depth knowledge and experience of the use of appropriate codes and standards, as applied to nuclear plant and conventional plants such as CSA N287, CSA N289 and CSA N291 and other codes and standards such as NBCC and S16 and A23 .
- Experience in performing condition assessments of buildings and structures.
- Experience in project management and interfacing with and coordinating activities of multi-disciplinary teams.
- Expertise with rigorous engineering change control processes and application of QA programs.
- Registered as a professional engineer in Ontario.
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and have demonstrated a high commitment to quality.
- Have a minimum of 10 years’ experience, with some experience working on-site at a nuclear power plant.
Personal Qualifications & Characteristics:
In addition, you will be the type of person who displays strong leadership skills and is recognized by your peers and customers as a sound, practical, innovative, and helpful engineer. You will pride yourself in your ability to provide value-added solutions and to consistently deliver projects ahead of schedule and under budget. You must be able to visit client sites on a regular basis, mainly within Ontario, both for short and longer-term assignments.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility of Ontarians with Disability Act, 2005, we are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility in all parts of the hiring process. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when raised with the recruiter or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.