Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Atlanta, GA, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting for a Lead Transmission Engineer for Tucker,GA.
Summary /Job Responsibilities:
Responsible for leading transmission line engineering including providing guidance for setting project technical priorities and at times detailed design for high voltage transmission projects through 500kv. Depending upon complexity of the project, the candidate may prepare, provide guidance, or assist in preparing and developing the engineering deliverables for electric transmission projects - including line routing, structure selection & design, plan & profile drawings, hardware & conductor selection, equipment & construction specifications, and all associated calculations. Detailed knowledge of NESC code requirements and transmission & structure design software (PLSCADD, PLS Pole, PLS-Tower, SaglO, AutoCad, etc) is required. Candidate will be responsible for working closely with Client project managers and technical leaders as well as other internal engineering and design team members to coordinate overall design package and requirements. Other duties include developing technical specifications, providing direction and guidance to drafters and designers, directing the flow of drafting and designer duties, insuring design schedules are met, including regularly providing project status updates to project engineer. Responsible for handling multiple projects, and providing a detailed design package that complies with applicable engineering design standards and all safety codes.
Provide engineering/technical expertise to solve more complex problems, and provide leadership skills to manage work in a specific area of expertise, with minimal supervision. Incumbents are expected to develop advanced skills and to have the ability to work independently.
- Supporting engineering projects by creating detailed scopes and estimates, performing engineering calculations, developing detailed plan and profile design drawings, modeling in PLS-CADD.
- Supervise junior/intermediate engineers working on transmission line projects.
- Designing structures and foundations for transmission lines.
- Managing transmission line engineering projects from ‘definition phase’, through the ‘implementation phase”, to the ‘in service phase’ for up to 500 kV transmission lines and substation connections.
- Coordinating with the Procurement Group in order to prepare material specification, requisitions.
- Providing construction support and overall project engineering coordination with other disciplines, including outages.
- Coordinating staged installation and commissioning with the utility and subcontractors.
- Prepare staged design reviews for clients in accordance with standards, and maintaining detailed documentation of designs.
- Responding to information requests from site and completing project documentation including as-builts, calculations and return of data to the client.
- Enhancing and maintaining relationships with internal groups and external contractors and clients.
- Traveling and visiting client sites as and when required throughout North America during project definition and execution.
- Leading projects from conception through construction, including mentoring junior engineers and designers.
Skills / Qualifications
- Electrical, Mechanical or Civil/Structural Engineering Degree from a recognized four-year college or university along with a Professional Engineer Designation or eligibility for professional registration.
- 10 or more years of transmission line engineering experience is required.
- Proven experience within a Transmission and Distribution Utility or EPC organization designing Transmission Lines utilizing PLS-CADD/PLS-TOWER/PLS-POLE.
- Thorough knowledge of conductors, insulators, accessories and fittings is required.
- Knowledge of electrical aspects of transmission lines (and familiarity with software such as CDEGS) as asset.
- Registered Professional Engineer
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.