Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Secure your future in Canada’s dynamic nuclear industry.
Be part of an exciting industry that provides challenge and opportunities for growth and development.
We are a member of the Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) global family. Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the global energy and related sectors. Employing around 36,000 people in more than 55 countries and with 2015 revenues of £5.5 billion, the company operates across the oil and gas industry – from production through to refining, processing and distribution of derivative products – and in the mining, clean energy, power generation, pharma, environment and infrastructure markets.
Amec Foster Wheeler (Nuclear Canada) is an engineering, nuclear safety and technical analysis company. We provide specialized services primarily to the power generation industry. Headquartered in downtown Toronto, we have over 500 staff, and we provide technical solutions to clients world-wide. Our work involves design engineering in all disciplines, and performing safety and engineering analyses using state-of-the-art engineering and analysis software, and interfacing with other engineering disciplines. Staff provide technical support to operating nuclear plants.
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting for a Technical Team Lead - Mechanical Design with extensive experience in the Nuclear industry.
We are actively recruiting motivated and committed individuals to join our established team. We are looking for people with experience in leading multi-discipline design engineering projects for both full time permanent and contract positions. To fill this position you have a sound foundation in mechanical engineering and possess experience in integration of other discipline areas (process, civil, electrical, I&C, piping design and analysis) to deliver plant modification projects for operating nuclear plants. This is a senior level position and successful candidates will be expected to provide overall project technical leadership through direction of a number of individual discipline leads and teams. You will typically have a minimum 10 years working experience, with a proven track record of delivering nuclear plant design modification projects and must be a licensed professional engineer in Ontario. Candidates should also have experience with nuclear plant systems, operations, and relevant Engineering Change Control (ECC) process.
To deliver mechanical, process and system engineering expertise service to nuclear power generation utilities and other customers. The specific accountabilities of the position include the following:
- Expertise in various areas mechanical design, e.g., piping design, piping analysis, support design and analysis, pressure vessel design and analysis, rotating equipment, heat exchangers; assessment/design/specification of equipment and components etc.
- In depth knowledge of performing design according to client Engineering Change Control (ECC) procedures.
- Provide leadership to the project team on delivery of technical scope and integration of multi-disciplined design projects.
- Interface with construction/procurement partners, utility stakeholders, and equipment vendors throughout the lifecycle of the design project (i.e., from conceptual engineering, preliminary engineering to detailed design, installation, commissioning and close-out) to provide practical and effective solutions as per design requirements.
- Prepare project plan and recommend project schedules to the complex and multi-disciplined projects. Produce the project implementation plan for execution including identifying appropriate resource requirements.
- Coordinate closely with the project manager and with various discipline team leads towards gaining acceptance, accommodating each other’s needs and persuading action to be taken to facilitate the implementation of project plan and to ensure an effective project delivery.
- Monitor and review the quality of technical work to ensure the activities performed by project team meet the necessary standards to satisfy the project objectives, budget and schedule.
- Understand and assess client problems and determine appropriate means of technical solution.
- Develop and maintain contact with all internal and external stakeholders to ensure the project implementation plan update-to-date and consistent with current needs by integration of work effort.
- Conduct technical assessments and emergent troubleshooting/engineering to support refurbishment projects and operating units’ projects.
- Perform other duties as required.
Skills / Qualifications
The following skills/knowledge are required:
- Proven track record in design and analysis of mechanical system in nuclear power generation facilities.
- Proven track record in interfacing with and coordinating activities of multi-disciplinary teams and ability to work effectively with project manager.
- Experience in understanding the full scope of tasks and accountabilities associated with the role, including the client needs and interrelationships between work groups
- Expertise with rigorous engineering change control processes and application of QA programs.
- Experience in solving problems, providing advice and guidance, making recommendations during the design, commissioning and operation of a nuclear facility.
- In depth knowledge and experience of use of appropriate Codes and Standards such as CSA and ASME B&PV code as applicable to nuclear plant and conventional plants.
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and have demonstrated a high commitment to quality.
- Registered as a professional engineer in Ontario.
- Have a minimum of 10 years’ nuclear industry experience. Working experience on-site at a nuclear power plant is required.
- Appendix XXIII qualification as per NCA-4000 would be an asset.
Personal Qualifications & Characteristics:
In addition, you will be the type of person who displays strong leadership skills and is recognized by your peers and customers as a sound, practical, innovative, and helpful engineer. You will pride yourself in your ability to provide value-added solutions and to consistently deliver projects ahead of schedule and under budget. You must be able to visit client sites on a regular basis, mainly within Ontario, both for short and longer-term assignments.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility of Ontarians with Disability Act, 2005, we are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility in all parts of the hiring process. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when raised with the recruiter or by e-mailing accessibilities.ON@amecfw.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.